cutting board finish

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have used tung oil to finish cutting boards in the past. I have 3 boards I need to finish. Because of the weather I am going to finish the boards inside. I need to use a finish which will not cause an odor problem.

Anyone use a product which does not have an odor issue? A shorter curing time than tung oil would also be good.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use organic flax seed oil for all my kitchen ware.
No bad oder, dries in a day, will build up to a gloss if you want, never had any complaints.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon Keye,

First, you might want to watch this video from "The Wood Whisperer":

Marc does a nice job explaining oil finish application methods, as well as different products.

Personal experience ... I've just started using Tried and True Danish Oil ... and yesterday applied the first coat on a batch of kitchen spatulas ( per the label instructions ) I just finished. No lingering odor, and a very nice smooth finish. I'll apply another coat tomorrow (because I'm busy today / tonight), and package them.

My previous experience with hard wax oil (50/50 mixture) is that the finish just doesn't last a very long time with daily use. Thankfully I made a lifetime supply for our use, and keep one tin handy in the kitchen. Having said that, The Tried and True finish seems more durable in daily use (if you have a bacon-themed spatula ... you gotta use it daily!).

Hope this helps,

Rick

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The OP did ask for a shorter drying time. Technically mineral oil NEVER dries.
Yes, the mineral oil beeswax mixture is soft and requires re-application. Good for a user board. Just beeswax rubbed into the board can be buffed out some for a harder (not hard) finish.

Cbozz

Chris
User
if you don't add a solvent to pure tung oil it's pretty low odor. AFAIK it's only a very mild irritant and not toxic at all.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS