Are any of the triangle area mobile sawyers able to saw very long lengths (18' or up to 26'+)

Cbozz

Chris
User
I have a number of large pine trees that I am looking at getting taken down in the next few months. I also am potentially putting an addition on my house in about a year that will need some large beams, mostly around 18' but the largest is around 26' with a center support. I'm wondering if I could get someone to mill the trees into long 2x6 material, dry it in my conditioned crawl space, and then build a few beefy glulams in place. A full 26' seems well beyond the capacity of a trailer mill, but I'm thinking of making all 18' material and selecting around defects to build two 13' beams for the long span, or finger joint to get what I need.

Anybody got that kind of capacity? Steel and LVLs are still pretty expensive.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can't answer your question, but is would a beam of that size meet and pass code/building requirements for your location?

Cbozz

Chris
User
I can't answer your question, but is would a beam of that size meet and pass code/building requirements for your location?
A homemade glulam made from ungraded lumber would cause and has caused an AHJ to pause. I am, however, a licensed architect in NC with a pretty solid structural background, and would have no problem supplying the assumptions, math, and a seal to verify it exceeds the requirements placed on it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Up to 58 feet I believe…

Whispering Pines Farm / Quartersawnoak.com
Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC (about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)
Specilizing in milling and kiln drying oak, and custom milling of extremely long or large logs (up to 60" diameter, 58' long)
Kiln dried oak and eastern red cedar always in stock.
qsawnoak@gmail.com

Cbozz

Chris
User
Up to 58 feet I believe…

Whispering Pines Farm / Quartersawnoak.com
Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC (about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)
Specilizing in milling and kiln drying oak, and custom milling of extremely long or large logs (up to 60" diameter, 58' long)
Kiln dried oak and eastern red cedar always in stock.
qsawnoak@gmail.com
Is that mobile or would I need to get the logs there?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Scott has several mills, the longest is definitely stationary.
He also has cranes and trucks for moving logs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS