Search results

1. S

New source of affordable, high quality carving chisels and gouges.

I think Joe Dillett, owner of the Carving Shop, has an excellent YouTube channel dedicated to all things carving. He's been carving full time since 1957 and has a lot of knowledge to share and I personally like his "down home" style. He recently posted a video endorsing a new supplier of...
  2. S

Source for Limewood?

For carving, I'd like to try Limewood but I don't know if it's available in the US. Apparently it's common in Europe but not here. (Western NC) Some people believe it's just another name for basswood but I've seen several carving videos that make me question this. It seems a little harder than...
  3. S

Carving smooth curves (letters and numbers) into basswood.

I'm having problems getting smooth curves on letters and numbers into basswood. Is there anyone on this forum with letter-carving experience in the Hendersonville, NC area willing to meet with me to see why I'm having this problem? I've been woodworking for several years but I'm new to relief...
  4. S

Trouble Uploading photos to Gallery

I'm unable to upload photos to the Gallery. The files are .jpg. Their size in pixels is 1536 x 2048. I've tried to upload from Google Chrome and Firefox. I've tried about 4 times thinking the server may be overloaded but no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the...
  5. S

Basic Question About Walnut

Technically speaking, is "black walnut" different than other types of walnut or is it just a matter of black walnut being darker? I'm asking because I'm doing some relief carving in walnut. I'm getting more chip out than some of the examples I've seen on YouTube and wondering if I need to...
  6. S

Creating complementary curves

I have a question about a technique for creating complementary curves. This technique seems easier than those. Have read about or videos I've watched on this subject. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the method I'm considering. The ultimate goal is to create a panel consisting of two...
  7. S

Market price fr air dred walnut?

A friend of mine has about 1,200 BF of air dried walnut. Approx 4/4 and lengths up to 12 ft. He's not sure how to price it. What's the market price for walnut these days? Thanks. Scott C. P.S. location is Saluda, NC. Near Hendersonville.
  8. S

Looking for dowel plate (s)

I'm interested in buying a dowel plate. Before buying LN or LV, I wanted to see if any members might want to sell theirs. Imperial units is 1st priority but would also like metric. If interested, please send private message. Thanks. Scott C Saluda, NC
  9. S

Help pricing wooden Bailey plane

A friend of mine needs help pricing a Bailey plane that belonged to her father. The body of the plane is 15" long by 2 5/8" wide x 1 1/2" thick. The sole looks OK but there are some very small nicks on the mouth where the blade protrudes out the bottom. Because it's old, my friend thinks it's...
  10. S

Wood Recommended for Garden Gates

I'm building a pair of garden gates for a 5' wide opening. Each gate will be approx 2 1/2' wide by 6' tall. The gates will be stained, not painted. For our climate in the Asheville, NC area, what wood is recommended for this purpose? So far, I'm considering Western Red Cedar, Cypress or White...
  11. S

Looking for Instruction on use of Jointer

I'm looking for some one on one instruction on how to use the jointer. After spending several hours with my jointer, reading whatever I can and watching videos, etc., I'm still not comfortable with this tool so I'm looking for someone in the Saluda, Hendersonville area willing to spend an hour...
  12. S

Looking for Dowel Max or Joint Genie

I'm looking for either a Dowel Max or Joint Genie. Anyone out there interested in selling theirs? Please reply with personal email. Thanks, Scott C Saluda, NC

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS