Help pricing wooden Bailey plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Cardais

New User
ScottC
A friend of mine needs help pricing a Bailey plane that belonged to her father. The body of the plane is 15" long by 2 5/8" wide x 1 1/2" thick. The sole looks OK but there are some very small nicks on the mouth where the blade protrudes out the bottom.

Because it's old, my friend thinks it's valuable. She describes it as an antique. I have no idea what it's worth but I'm hoping someone on this forum could offer some input.

Thanks in advance. I've attached three pictures. Please let me know if they don't appear in the post.

attachment.php

View image in gallery

attachment.php

View image in gallery

attachment.php

View image in gallery

Thanks.

Scott C.

Last edited:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Scott, the pics did not appear. Pleas try again. It will definitely help determine the appx. value.

Bill

Scott Cardais

New User
ScottC
Thanks, Bill. I think I fixed the problem. Thanks for your prompt reply and for letting me know about the missing photos.

Scott C.
Saluda, NC

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If I'm trying to buy it the price is higher than gold, if I'm trying to sell it the price is less than dirt.

Scott Cardais

New User
ScottC
Sorry to ask this but would you take another look? The photos appear when I look at the post. Thanks very much.

Scott C.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott I still can't see the pics. Trying uploading them to the photo gallery. I looked there and I do not see any photos you have uploaded.

DanR

New User
Dan
They go for $10 - $30 dollars. If you open ebay and search on "transitional planes" you will probably see a bunch.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ed at the Woodwright's School and Antique Tool Store in Pittsboro just happens to have his Transitionals on sale for 10% off this month.

- Ken.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'll echo what a couple of others have said.."transitional planes" aren't worth much in general. Stanley (and other makers) made oodles of them and sold them for less than the similar all-metal body planes. Old-time metal body planes aren't exactly expensive now - so you can imagine the effect on the value of the transitionals.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS