Search results

1. Elmojo

Busted Reeves drive on HF lathe, need advice

Hi all, I've been away from woodworking for a while, since I got a metal lathe and a contract project to go with it. Anyway, I decided to fire up my Harbor Freight (HF) 12"x33-3/8" (Central Machinery, item# 34706) wood lathe over the weekend, and was greeted with the unholy sound of the drive...
  2. Elmojo

CA Pen finish question

Hi all, I've recently begun trying my hand at a few pens. I like the BLO/CA finish that I saw on youtube, so I've been trying that. When I finish the pen body on the lathe and apply the BLO/CA, it looks awesome, glossy and wet looking. However, by the time I get the pen assembled, it appears to...
  3. Elmojo

"Truing up" HF Lathe

Hi all, I hope this hasn't been covered to death, but I can never get the search to work correctly on this site. I have the ubiquitous HF lathe, the big one. I've had it about 2 years now and love almost everything about it. However, now that I'm doing a little pen turning, I've noticed that the...
  4. Elmojo

Court is in session

Or could be, with this. :gar-Bi I decided to try a Gavel after playing with one for a few minutes in one of my clients' office. I thought, "hey this thing looks easy to make on a lathe". I should know better than to think. It wasn't really that hard, I'm just not that good. :embarrassed: Pics...
  5. Elmojo

Tung Oil - Food safe?

I've made a few bamboo kitchen utensils and plan to "field test" them to see if they hold up well enough to be worth selling cheap to friends, co-workers, etc... I'd like to put a least some type of finish on them to keep the grain sealed so it doesn't rise when washed. I have tung oil; is that...
  6. Elmojo

Lung protection advice needed

Hi all, I've recently gotten into working with more exotic hardwoods and find myself in need of a good respirator to protect myself from the nasty toxic dust/smoke they put off. What are you guys using? A dust collection system isn't an option for me, due to cost and convenience issues. I'm...
  7. Elmojo

Foodsafe woods?

My dad has commissioned me to make him a dinner plate. He is buying a ceramic knife and decided he wants a solid wood plate to eat from. Keep in mind that the finished plate will most likely only be finished with mineral oil or some other food-safe finish of your suggestion. Also, since he will...
  8. Elmojo

Spalted (?) Oak bowl

This is duplicate info from my other post about the Oland tool. Sorry to repeat, but many may not care anything about the Oland, and might not read that post.:embaresse Anyway, I got an Oak crotch from an old guy down the street yesterday. It turns out to be mostly rotted and riddled with worm...
  9. Elmojo

Modified Oland Tool = WOW

Hi all, I'm too tired to post specifics and photos right now, but I just finished building a modified Oland tool. I made the shaft removable from the handle so I can flip the shaft around and mount angled bits in the other end. I suspect this thing will be my favorite tool for a while! I...
  10. Elmojo

My wife loves me!

I had my suspicions, but tonight I got irrefutable proof that my wife really does love me. :icon_cheers I mentioned to her the other day that I needed a 4-jaw chuck system so I could make bowls without scarring up the bottoms with my 3-jaw. I even sent her an email with a link to a chuck I...
  11. Elmojo

Biography in wood and Metal

Well, it's not much to see, but I snapped a few photos to let everyone see what I've been up to in my shop. Full descriptions are on the gallery page, along with a few shots of (one of) my other hobbies.... http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=30084&ppuser=3175 My second bowl...
  12. Elmojo

3-jaw chuck marring work

Hi all, Until I can afford a decent 4-jaw chuck for my bowl turning, I'm stuck with a 3-jaw. This one to be exact: http://grizzly.com/products/5-3-Jaw-Chuck-1-x-8-TPI/H8038 Does anyone know any tricks to using this chuck in such a way as to not put jaw marks on the foot of my finished bowls...
  13. Elmojo

New turner in Snow Hill

Hi all, I guess I better do a proper introduction before I get in trouble.:embaresse I'm Mike P. (to avoid confusion) from Snow Hill, NC. For those of you who haven't been lost in the middle of nowhere lately, Snow Hill is right in the middle between Greenville, Goldsboro, Kinston and Wilson...
  14. Elmojo

Where to find Burls?

Hi all, This is my first new post here, so I'll do a quick intro first. I'm in Snow Hill, NC, which is near Greenville. I've been turning on and off for about a year, but have only done a few bowls and a couple nightsticks. My first 'real' project was a Cocobolo nightstick for my Dad's...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS