Where to find Burls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Hi all,

This is my first new post here, so I'll do a quick intro first.
I'm in Snow Hill, NC, which is near Greenville.
I've been turning on and off for about a year, but have only done a few bowls and a couple nightsticks. My first 'real' project was a Cocobolo nightstick for my Dad's anniversary last year to replace the one he broke while working law enforement in Florida before I was born.
Anyway, I've recently been getting back into turning more seriously and have fallen in love with bowls and hollow vessels.

I was wondering if anyone could give me tips as to finding burls?
I live in a rural area and have access to literally thousands of acres of forest.
What should I look for? Are there some tree species that tend to burl more than others?
Are some types of forest (ie. swampy or hilly) more likely to produce burls?
I did find a small burl on a Holly the other day, but it was too small to do much with.

Thanks in advance for all the great advice I'm sure I'll be getting here over the coming months!

nelsone

New User
Ed
I can't help you too much, but Robert Arrowood has been doing pretty good at finding some nice cherry burl. Maybe he'll chime in and give you some tips on hunting them!

J

jeff...

DJ2image.jpg

DJ2aimage-15.jpg

DJ3ColincuttingGoldfieldsburl.jpg

DJ4Colinandchainsaw.jpg

DJ16100_0538.jpg

DJ10100_0543.jpg

DJ11100_0551.jpg

DJ12100_0546.jpg

Jarrah%20Burl%20on%20Tree_small.jpg

Red%20Gum%20Burl%20Being%20Put%20on%20Trailer_small.jpg

Red%20Gum%20Burl%20on%20Trailer.jpg

treec.jpg

Be careful out there, always take a buddy...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Burls are areas of rapidly dividing/deforming cells in the trees cambium layer. They are similar and totally different to cancer in humans. The cell rapidly divide and mutate like in a cancerous tumor, but unlike cancer that cell division isn't malignant or harmful to the tree. Burls are often responses to stresses the tree faces like insect infestations or fungal attacks. All tree species can form burls but not all burl formation create the wildly figured wood we prize. You should find high quality burl wood in domestic trees like Maple, Oak, Cherry, and Walnut.
I would guess, only based on my tree knowledge not specific to burls, that you would have a better chance of finding them by looking in areas where trees are naturally stressed. Hillsides, low areas, creek banks are area where tree might be naturally stressed and could be more prone to burl formation (like a pre-existing condition).
Robert Arrowood has done quite a bit of burl hunting. He might have some tips for good areas to look.
Sometimes you just find them walking down the street -
burled_Oak_4.JPG

Downtown Wilmington.

Please keep in mind that removal of burls from live trees will often cause the death of the tree.

Dave:)

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Mike,
Here is a picture of an oak burl: http://kevinmorgan.com/images/Tree_WOak_Burl.jpg
and a sugar maple burl: http://homepage.mac.com/mr_bingley/.Pictures/burl.jpg

Most of the burls will look something like an unusual knob on the tree.

To the best of my knowledge I don't know of any pattern to where to find burls. I also do not believe the cause of burls are known and cannot be reproduced.

The way I've always located them is to just be aware of them and then when I spy one, see if I can acquire one.

You could also get to know a tree surgeon. A "free" bowl once in a while will keep the burls coming your way.

Jim

mbeach

New User
Mike
new to wordworking here... what is special about burls? what do you make from them? trying to learn some more about them

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Mike:

Burls are valued because they can exhibit wild grain patterns, curl and combinations of unusual growth. The wood from a burl makes great turning stock, e.g., bowls pens etc. Also it is used to make exotic veneers.

Doug

DaveO

New User
DaveO
new to wordworking here... what is special about burls? what do you make from them? trying to learn some more about them

Burl wood is about as highly figured of a wood that you can find.

Amboyna_slab_001.jpg

It's uses are unlimited, but due to it's rarity and difficult woking nature it is often reserved for turnings, veneers and really special projects.

A few pens turned out of the above slab, and other burls -

Copy_of_Copy_of_Pens_342.jpg

Copy_of_Copy_of_Pens_318.jpg

Copy_of_Pens_415.jpg

Copy_of_Pens_423.jpg

Burl=Good :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Mike, I'm not sure i know how to find them, but I sure love to turn them. Thanks for posting. Although, you gave us a little intro, please go over to the "Who are we" forum and tell us more about yourself. :icon_thum BTW, we love pictures, so post 'em if ya' got 'em. :gar-Bi

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood

Here is a small cherry burl I spotted just riding down the road.I make hiking sticks and canes,so I walk the woods alot.When I'm in the woods I just look for "warts" on the tree. You never know just how much of the "wart"is really burl until you cut into it.Through the web and experience when you find one there are usualy more in the area.I've got about 10 to 20 that I've got to see about getting.Btw I've cut into the one above and it is beautiful.About a 3rd cut off and it still weighs in at 175# with the end piece's still on.I'm willing to sell some or all for TOOL money:gar-La;.I'll try to post a pic of it later.If anyone is interested shoot me a pm.Good luck hunting.Just remember that stuff is heavy.And at this time of year wear some flame orange so you don't get shot:eek:.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Wow, I knew this was an active and helpful forum, but I never expected such a response!
Thanks to everyone for the advice and amazing photos.
Jeff, I assume that was Africa? Is that you with the monster chainsaw?! lol
I'll have to go wandering in the woods around my house and see what I can find.
I have a personal rule that I don't cut standing (living) trees unless they are already horizontal due to storm activity or logging. Someone also mentioned that removing a burl may kill the tree. So, is there any reliable way to remove a burl from a living tree without a high risk of death for the tree?
I'm on the road at the moment, but I'll try to do a proper introduction and post some photos when I get home.

Thanks again!

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Hi all,

My first 'real' project was a Cocobolo nightstick for my Dad's anniversary last year to replace the one he broke while working law enforement in Florida before I was born.

Ugh. I would have hated to be on the receiving end of that nightstick when it broke. :BangHead: :rotflm:
Welcome to the site Mike and we look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Ugh. I would have hated to be on the receiving end of that nightstick when it broke. :BangHead: :rotflm:
Welcome to the site Mike and we look forward to seeing pics of your work.

Yeah, me too!
The sad part is that he broke it himself at a karate competition and law enforcement expo.
One of the instructors was bragging about how effective a nightstick can be and how they are nearly indestructable if made from the right wood. Remember, this is back in the sixties before metal and composite sticks.
My dad (a 1st degree black belt at the time), told the instructor that his stick was no match for skilled martial arts. The instructor bet him some amount of money that he couldn't break it. My dad broke the instructor's stick, which was monkeypod wood, in one swipe. The instructor started crying, and said that stick belonged to his grandfather...oops! my dad felt sorry for him and gave him his own stick. So I guess my earlier comment wasn't totally accurate, but you get the picture. A nightstick was broken, and my dad was sans one stick.
I've heard that story several times over my lifetime and thought I could do something about it, so I made him one. He likes it.:icon_thum

As a side note, does anyone know the 'real' name for Monkeypod wood? I've looked around and found several conflicting references. Some claim it's Ironwood, which could be one of several species, while others say it's Mesquite. Anyone know for sure?

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Thanks for the links Jeff.

Upon further inspection, I don't think the nightstick was Monkey pod.
I called my dad for clarification, and sure enough, the nightstick was infact cocobolo, but had been incorrectly identified as Monkey Pod by someone who obviously had never seen the two woods side-by-side!

Bottom line, both the original broken nightstick and the one I made as as replacement for my dad's were Cocobolo. I'll try to get my hands on dad's stick to snap a few photos when I can.
Mystery solved, as if it ever really mattered. :dontknow::gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS