Court is in session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Or could be, with this. :gar-Bi
I decided to try a Gavel after playing with one for a few minutes in one of my clients' office.
I thought, "hey this thing looks easy to make on a lathe".
I should know better than to think.
It wasn't really that hard, I'm just not that good. :embarrassed:
Pics below as evidence. In my defense, the head doesn't look nearly as "cobbed-up" in person as under the camers flash.
The head is Cedar, finished with pure beeswax.
The shaft is Choke Cherry, finished with a light coat of Tung Oil finish, burned in on the lathe.
Both woods locally grown, as if that makes any difference!
Enjoy, or not, your call.
Gavel01.jpg
View image in gallery

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Looks great

I have been meaning to make one of those, but haven't got to it. I have seen the heads come off of these. I did see one handle that went all the way through was was wedged on the top, making it almost impossible to come loose.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely sized head, but that handle is too small to drive anything bigger than a tack. :rotflm:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice job:icon_thum I was thinking about one of these the other day - how did you get the handle hole centered - did you bore it before or after you turned the head

sawduster

New User
Robert
Acquitted on all charges of " cobbed up " counselor :mrgreen:

Nice job bro :eusa_clap :icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think the NCWW board of directors needs an official gavel!

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Hi all,
Thanks for the kind remarks.

@Guy in Paradise: I'm not worried too much about the head coming off.
It's cedar, so it's fairly light, plus the handle goes better than halfway into the head and is held in with CA. I haven't had anything separate this way...yet!

@LeftyTom: The handle is much stronger than it looks. I cut it from a semi-dried Choke Cherry Limb I got from a buddy. It's quite hard, but pretty springy. I'm really learning to like working with it.

@Trent Mason: I'm thinking of giving it to my lawyer friend/client. He is up for District Court judgeship next year. I thought it would make a decent pre-judgeship gift.

@Bas: Seriously? If the board really does need one, I'd be honored to be the one to supply it.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS