Modified Oland Tool = WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Hi all,

I'm too tired to post specifics and photos right now, but I just finished building a modified Oland tool. I made the shaft removable from the handle so I can flip the shaft around and mount angled bits in the other end.
I suspect this thing will be my favorite tool for a while!
I promise to post full details with photos and even a video if I get ambitious, but right now, I'm heading off to the land of the sandmen.

Later!

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Sorry for the delay, had to do actual work out of town today.
Here are a few shots of the tool.
It's basically a standard design Oland Tool, with the difference being the removable handle. This allows different angles to be cut into each end. One end will be a standard end bore, as shown in the photos. The other end will be 90-degree and probably either a 45 or 60-degree holes, allowing for the bits to act like boring bars on metal lathes.
This is just a rough prototype, but any more I make will be finished nicer and have the holes drilled and tapped perfectly straight. I just wanted to see if the concept worked, and boy does it!

Comments, suggestions for improvement?

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Well, after much delay, I finally got around to trying out my new tool on a 'real' turning.
I can't believe how well this thing works, especially for initial truing and roughing tasks.
I got an Oak crotch from an old guy down the street yesterday.
It turns out to be mostly rotted and riddled with worm holes, some still with the worm! I decided to call it spalted (though I'm not sure that term is appropriate here) and change the design to utilize what decent wood there was. The result is pretty interesting, if not super-usable. I used the Oland tool exclusively, from blank roughing to final shaping, with the exception of a little bit of skew work at the end to smooth out the inside. It's only at the first rough sanded stange now, but will be completed as soon as I think it's dried out enough to accept some sealer and Tung Oil.
Also shown are a few shots of my new PSI Barracuda2 SE in action.
Man, this thing is SWEET! :icon_cheers

Results below:

I'm thinking I'll leave the edge natural and thick to show off the color differences in the wood.

Comments/Suggestions? :notworthy:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Very interesting indeed! Do you mind sharing your source of steel and cutters? I'd like to experiment with one of these. Thanks for posting the photos. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mike

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Very interesting indeed! Do you mind sharing your source of steel and cutters? I'd like to experiment with one of these. Thanks for posting the photos. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

The steel shaft is from Lowes. It's a 3/4" round bar x 18" with holes.
They sell them in the masonry area, right next to the rebar. I thkn they are used for laying out curbing. They run $3-5 depending on length.

The cutters are the cheapest set from Harbor Freight, about $5 for a set of 5. They are 'only' C2 carbide, but work fine for wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS