Search results

1. C

Removing dried glue from clamps

After you get them clean, if any are any of the Bessy type with the threaded edges on the bars, wax the bars. The glue won't stick and can be easily knocked off easily, until the wax needs replenishment. A fresh coat of wax restores this knocking off capability. The plastic housed ends have...
  2. C

Leigh (Now Lee Valley) Mortise and Tenon Jig

I have an FMT Pro jig that I bought about 10 years ago. It's very precise, if used correctly, and there is an adjustment for the "FIT" of the tenon to the mortise that lets you change the relationship by just a few thousandths at a time, which most other versions of mortise and tenon jig cutting...
  3. C

WTB Crystal Door knobs

Van Dyke Restorers has a catalog full of all kinds of reproduction and new/old stock. If you are going to need knobs that match, I would get their catalog and (she) will pick out what you need. They are online and easily found using the word "Restorers". A good company to do business with too...
  4. C

Installing Delicate Hardware

When sawing the lid free, I cut the front and back (opposite sides) first. Then I insert shims held in place with blue tape into these saw kerfs, to keep the kerfs from closing and the top in complete alignment with the bottom during the cutting of the other two sides. Be very careful to keep...
  5. C

Installing Delicate Hardware

I have made a lot of small boxes, and this has always worked best for me. I always clamp the box and lid together, so as to keep everything perfectly aligned. I then use double sided Scotch Tape to adhere the hinges and latch correctly in their places. I then use the correct size of one of...
  6. C

elliptical shape on 1x4

Home Depot is pretty good at making odd shaped 2 X 4's, but I've never seen one that they offered like this. Charley
  7. C

Where to find Steel Tubing and Angle Iron in GSO area?

I've been buying from Fab Design in Salisbury for the past several years. It's a fabrication / welding shop, but they will sell to the public for very reasonable prices. I usually buy whole sticks (about 20+ ft.) at a time, but I usually have them cut it in half or quarter lengths to help me...
  8. C

Jesus Loves Me This I Know, For The Bible Tells Me So

Just some interesting information about the song - The Jesus Loves Me song (actually originally a poem for comforting a dying child) was written by Susan Warner in the mid 1800's. The Warner family lived on Constitution Island, located on the East side of the Hudson River across from the West...
  9. C

(gone) Free to good home: Ryobi 12" benchtop drill press

Looks more like a Ryobi than a Rikon to me, but a good deal either way. Charley
  10. C

It ain’t a Lion Trimmer, but…

That's how I did it for 55 years. I now do it on my miter saw or Unisaw with the miter gauge set to desired angle using a MiterSet gauge. Using this gauge to set my OEM miter gauge gets me any desired angle for a perfect fitting cut on the first try, but I have used those picture frame clamps...
  11. C

Leather

Tandy Leather has many shops in larger towns and my dealings with the one on Independence Blvd in Charlotte has been great every time that I've been there. I haven't needed leather for anything in some 6 or more years, so make certain that they are still there before going. Charley
  12. C

Help moving a shed

Is the shed empty? If it is and it's on relatively level ground the whole distance of the move, a jack or pry bar to lift the shed onto the first pipe and then 3 or more lengths of 3" or 4" PVC pipe the width or more of the shed, plus 2-3 adult men should be all you need. One person moves the...
  13. C

AC Condensate Drain

There are copper sulfate pills (actually long capsule shaped) that can be placed in the condensate drain pan, and for me they last several years before needing replacing. I get them through Amazon. Copper sulfate is a great algaecide that already exists in the Earth, so not harmful to the...
  14. C

Finishing with tung oil...

When the Tung Oil doesn't stink, you can apply the wax because the Tung Oil has finally dried. This takes considerable time (like 3-6 months). Charley
  15. C

This was a challenge

It looks very nice, love the curve, but what happened to the mitered trim top - left at the ceiling? Charley
  16. C

Dowel Jig Centering On The Width

I have a Dowel-It jig that self centers on the thickness of the board. It has several holes for different sizes of drill / dowel holes. It always centers perfectly, but getting multi-dowel spacing accuracy depends on pencil marks and repeatability. The jig has aligning marks, but the accuracy of...
  17. C

Making Handwheel for Minimill

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but a Google search for "handwheel" brings up a lot of options. Charley
  18. C

DeWalt Planer Stand

I don't do any planning inside my small shop, so wanted to have something that I could store in my shop with the planer on it, but allow me to wheel it outdoors and set it up easily in the driveway for use. I ended up buying a Delta Miter saw/planer stand and it has been great for me for the...
  19. C

1st Box-so many errors

Making boxes forces you to learn accuracy. Any errors come back to bite you before you can finish the box. Make each piece square and to accurate dimensions, and the box will fit together without biting. Charley
  20. C

Double Stick Tape

I use carpet tape when a template is used. Whatever is available from Lowes when I need more. I use vacuum grips to hold the work piece down while routing or working the edges, also when carving sometimes. The Rockler Vacuum Chucks are what I mostly use, but I have made some DIY vacuum chucks...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS