Where to find Steel Tubing and Angle Iron in GSO area?

jwallwork

John
Corporate Member
Looking to purchase a piece of rectangular steel tubing (2"x3"x1/4" 4 ft long) and a piece of 3"x4"x1/4" 4ft long) Angle Iron to do a DIY Biesenmyer fence for my table saw. Trying to find a cheap source in the area. Called Ryerson Metals and they have a >$300 minimum order requirement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good afternoon John,

Alro Metal Outlet store ...
10 Industrial Ave
Greensboro, NC 27406

They have a lot of drops from their service centers (including the one on National Service Rd in Greensboro) as well as an assortment of precut parts (gussets and the like). They have SOME in-store cutting/shearing/bending capabilities as of the last time I visited. They also carry some plastic materials.

Here's the link: Alro Metals Outlet - Greensboro, North Carolina

If wandering a scrap yard is more your thing, check out D.H. Griffin's scrap yard on Hilltop Road in Greensboro. This is pretty much self-service (though if you're nice to the workers, they'll assist getting that perfect piece of metal from under that huge hunk of plate). Cost (again ... at my last visit) about twice what they pay for scrap. Wear good working boots and bring gloves. And a friend. And a truck. Or two trucks.

Last visit to both places ... no minimum charge ... you probably want to bring cash (and for D.H. Griffin's yard you need to bring a photo ID).

Regards,

Rick

redknife

New User
Chris
Agreed on Alro. They have a partial pieces/cutoffs area and no minimum purchase. At least when I've gone, Itold them what I was looking for and tey showed me what they had. Full size stock also available at reasonable prices, IMO.

jwallwork

John
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. DH Griffin was especially good because my company has them as a client and I'm working on a project for one of there other divisions. I completely forgot about the scrap metal side of there business.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
They have a lot of drops from their service centers (including the one on National Service Rd in Greensboro) as well as an assortment of precut parts (gussets and the like). They have SOME in-store cutting/shearing/bending capabilities as of the last time I visited. They also carry some plastic materials.

Here's the link: Alro Metals Outlet - Greensboro, North Carolina

Regards,

Rick
Do they take walk in business at the National Service rd. Location? I searched the web site and it looks like maybe only industrial accounts are allowed in there.

redknife

New User
Chris
Mike, when I called the National Service Rd location, they told me they did not take walk ins, only industrial. The address and link above (110 industrial) is the only public walk-in location.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I've been buying from Fab Design in Salisbury for the past several years. It's a fabrication / welding shop, but they will sell to the public for very reasonable prices. I usually buy whole sticks (about 20+ ft.) at a time, but I usually have them cut it in half or quarter lengths to help me transport it. My last purchase of 20+ ft length of 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8" hot rolled steel angle about 1 year ago was $23 and the cutting into 5' lengths was free. The price of everything has gone up since then, so call them if Salisbury isn't too far for you They will likely quote you a price over the phone. They are a little SW of Downtown Salisbury and a GPS helps find them.

Charley

Contact Us: Phone: 704.636.2349. Email: Lee@fabdesignsinc.com.

Redhead

New User
Dick
Looking to purchase a piece of rectangular steel tubing (2"x3"x1/4" 4 ft long) and a piece of 3"x4"x1/4" 4ft long) Angle Iron to do a DIY Biesenmyer fence for my table saw. Trying to find a cheap source in the area. Called Ryerson Metals and they have a >$300 minimum order requirement.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Try DH Griffin, Gboro on Groomtown Rd

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS