Total hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi All,

I signed up a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to post. I am a complete beginner, and won't have room for a real wood shop until we build our next home in 3 years.

The only things I've made have been a couple of rough cabinets for the tube amplifiers I built. One for myself and one for each of my kids. I also made cabinets for the speaker, but Tolex covers a lot of bad craftmanship on those!

Now I'm going to be building my son a small neck through the body electric guitar, based on a 17" fret scale. You may laugh at my ignorance, and please tell me my error if there is one, but I ordered 6/4 Paduak, and 4/4 bubinga boards, quartersawn. I'm hoping to resaw them to 3/4 and 2/4, and then laminate them to make a neck blank. Actually, 3 neck blanks, just in case I kill one, and then to try a second guitar if the first works out. I figure it will be P-B-P-B-P or B-P-B-P-B. Which ever gets me closer to 2 1/2 " wide.

I pestered the guys at the Duke shop for help a couple of years ago. But since resawing three 5 foot boards seems a bit much, my first big purchase may be a bandsaw. I almost bought a jointer from someone here but I was too slow :). I figure if I buy a bandsaw, I won't feel nearly as bad asking the shop guys for help plaining down the boards. They gave me good advice and were really helpful last time I bugged them. Course, they're real craftmen, I'm a dabbler.

Anyway, wish me luck on not destroying a lot of pretty nice wood. Luckily most of the shaping will be with a spokeshave or microplane, so at least it'll be a slow destruction if there is one.

And if anyone knows, I'm curious if there any places where you can take classes on woodcraft near Hillsborough NC? I tried Google, but didn't find any courses. I did find this site and I think I'll learn a lot reading through old posts.

Regards,

Todd

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Re: A total hacker

Welcome Todd
I think Mike Davis may chime in on this one. I am sorry I will be of no help making your guitar. We would like to see pictures of your WIP though. Good luck and I am sure you will be getting some advice from the group soon :icon_thum

gator

George
Corporate Member

First, a welcome to the site. Now for your questions - you will not get 3/4" or 2/4" (½") out of your boards. You will lose some thickness to the kerf (thickness of the bandsaw cut), and then more lose when you plane them smooth. You may end up with, if you are able to split each exactly in half, 5/8" and 3/8" usable flat smooth boards.

Check both Woodcraft and Klingspor in Raleigh for classes. They both have class schedules on their websites.

George

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Welcome Todd, I'm glad you decided to join us and post your intro. What your planning sounds like it will be a spectacular guitar, I look forward to see it when you get started.
Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Hi Todd,

While I can't be of much assistance with guitar building, I do want to welcome you to the NCWW web site.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger

Welcome Todd!
And good luck on your project. Sounds interesting. Too bad you aren't high school age . . . really :) Cedar Ridge High School has a nationally recognized woodworking curriculum taught by Mr. Yow.

You should also find some help from the many talented folks on this site.

Cheers,
Roger

jerrye

New User
Jerry

As another "newbie" let me welcome you. I have already met, talked with, and picked the brain of one member of this forum, and I can attest to his statement that "you won't find more helpful and accepting people on woodworking than you'll find here." I too am "shopless"; makes me wonder just how many of us there are. Wonder if there are others who are, or have been "shopless" and could be valuable resources to those of us less fortunate? Hmmmm?:eusa_thin

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member

Welcome to the website.:) Can't help with guitar building.:icon_frow

jerrye

New User
Jerry

"Strong back and weak mind" has always been something I qualify for, although the back isn't as strong as it used to be! I do have 5x10, 3500# capacity trailer available, along with somewhat strong back! As my company sells brooms, I am well versed in their usage. My shop right now is my 15'x15' deck, or front porch, depending on whether it's raining. Still using mostly hand power tools; have el-cheapo Ryobi BTS10 table saw & Northern Tools benchtop drill press that are getting to the point of not being quite accurate enough. Looking to find more accurate, yet portable table saw that will fit into current budget of ~$250.00. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

Welcome Todd!
Check out Alamance Comm. College and Orange Co. Parks and Rec. When I lived in the Orange Co. area a long time ago I was able to use both for shop access. The shop at ACC was awesome, Grey Culbreth Middle School was not.

Mark from Concord (on his way to Chapel Hill)

dtomasch

New User
David

Welcome aboard!!!
I have cut two bodies out for my first elelctric, but they have been sitting in the shop for a few years. I started a stair building company and that has drastically cut my guitar playing time:-( :-( . I don't know if you have this book, but it is very complete and readable. From choosing wood to finishes.
Make Your Own Electric Guitar second edition
By Melvyn Hiscock NBS Publications. Hope it helps. Good luck

erasmussen

New User
RAS

Welcome
I dont have a shop also, all my tools are on wheels so I can roll them onto the carport where I work:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sawman

New User
Albert

Welcome Todd,
I am fairly new to this site, but I do enjoy looking at the photo gallery for ideas and drool at some of the tools within the shops.
I have never tried building any musical instruments but would enjoy seeing your project, this group thrives on photos.
The interesting part of this site is the comments posted on the replies, great reading and sometimes good for laugh. Enjoy

Later,
Albert, Al or whatever

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
low cost options for a Table Saw

Looking to find more accurate, yet portable table saw that will fit into current budget of ~$250.00. Any suggestions?

Jerrye, I would start looking around the Lowe's in the area for NS (non-stock) items. That is how I picked up my Jet contractor's saw for $0.24 less than half of your current budget. yup, $125.76. brand new, in the box, all that good stuff. There are still some out there, you may have to look as far away as Sanford, hint hint hint.
HTH,
Pete

ok, I screwed up a move there.... back to your regularly scheduled thread

Last edited:

Toddler

New User
Todd

Dtomasch,

Yes, I have Hiscock's book. I also have some tools. Mostly construction stuff, a small skill brand contractor saw. A Ryobi scroll saw, router, and router table, chop saw, jig saw, small drill press, and a random orbital sander.

I have 5 or six good clamps. A lot of rasps and files.

So really I just don't have the big stuff.

Mike,

The neck won't be one piece. I have a separate finger board, and I do have a truss rod, but not an adjustable one. With a 17" scale and electric guitar strings, the tension won't require it. I'll use the old fashioned martin truss rod and carbon fiber reinforcing rods.
I'll probably also use a separate piece for the headstock.

To everyone else,

Thank you for all the suggestions on places to check out. I'll look into them and see what I find. And I'll keep you guys up on how much scrap wood I create.

Todd

J

jeff...

Todd I hope to be in Raleigh in the next few weeks dropping off a load of lumber. I recently cut up some electric guitar blanks out of American Elm and have a few left over. I would like to give you one free. Only one catch, you have to come to Raleigh and pick it up and meet some of the members. We had a discussion about it a while back you can kinda get an idea what a blank may look like here. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4563&highlight=pictorial

Send me a PM if your interested and I'll throw a 24" long, 14 - 16" wide 9/4" thick guitar blank in the truck for you.

Thanks

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Welcome to the site. There really is a lot of help here, nice people also.

I strummed a guitar once................:rolf:

Sorry I won't be much help.

Tom

skeeter

New User
Charles
I've never build a guitar, never played one, and can barely spell guitar, but, I'd like to welcome you to the site. Lood luck with the project!

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hi All,

Very nice of everyone to have replied and said hello. Hope you are all having a great thanksgiving. My thanksgiving is actually delayed until tomorrow since my wife was on call tonight, but it should be nice anyway.

I am sure this is going to be a long project for me, but hopefully I'll get it done before Eli gets into high school. (he turned five on Tuesday).

Take care everyone,

Todd

PS) I did reply to Jeff's far too generous offer and am hoping to meet some of you in the next few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS