Sycamore

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Next in line to be made into little ones. 28" small end, 32" butt flare, 9' 6" long with a bad crook starting about 7' from the butt. Kids think it's big :lol:

Attachments

• Nov27$02.jpg
    Nov27$02.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Nov27$01.JPG
    Nov27$01.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 223

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
cut off the crook (it will be sawn off anyway :) ) Looks like its going to have some nice figure..

I would QSAW that baby..you got the links from Scott Banbury's site I believe..

J

jeff...

Kyle, yep I'm going to quarter saw it. I "HAD" it on the mill, crook facing up and scabbed a few slabs off the butt flare and top of the crook. I broke the log clamp loose and went around back with the cant hook and rolled it over a little bit so I could flip up the dogs. And it freaking rolled right off the mill onto the ground with a solid thump 8-O. I guess it's a little top heavy with the crook an all. I'm glad no one was on the loading side of the mill and I was at the back. Now I gotta load the freaking thing back on the mill :-x.

What I seen at the top of the crook was some nice QS pattern around the outter edges of the slabs. I don't think there will be any curl in this one, but the lumber should be ok once it's QS. Once I get it whittled down where I can saw through the middle of it I'll be ok. I'm really not expecting much more than 125 BF from this log QS'ing it.

Attachments

• Nov27$03.jpg
    Nov27$03.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 417

cskipper

Cathy
If you QS it and have pieces I can use for trivets and possibly replace LOML's bigger slab I'd be interested in them.

J

jeff...

Some of the first quarters finally started falling out this log. This log has given me the most trouble of any yet. First it had a bad crook, second I should have quartered it while it was on the trailer instead of trying while it was in the mill. third it rolled off the mill, forth I've had to sharpen my chain saw twice now by hand with a file. QS sycamore it pretty lumber, but I sure did make it into a lot of work. Live and learn, is what I keep telling myself. Next one will be much easier, because I think I done just about all I could have done wrong with this one. It's getting dark so soon in the evening now, so after work I only get about 30-45 mins to work on it till I can't see what I'm doing. We'll get her and she'll show her QS beauty soon enough.

Kyle are you a Lucas sales guy? I sure would like to get a dedicated stabber / quartering machine. I have to pass up lots of logs because there to big for my WM. I need to do something.

I had a few folks interested in the lumber, but I think I may have scared them off. So as of right now I have no buyer. If you are interested in buying the lumber from this log let me know. I'm estimating about 150 BF in random width @ 1.25 a BF, but we'll know better once boards start falling out. I'll try and get some pics posted too.

Thanks

Thanks

woodguy1975

New User
John
My only requirement would be to have at least 60% 7" or wider. If you make that I'd be interested for sure especially if we could arrange transport to the Hickory area via another NCwwer member. It is tough for me to find a day to drive over to Raleigh.

John

J

jeff...

Well I guess I didn't scare to many folks off :-D. John 8/4 like the last batch?

Thanks

J

jeff...

Jeff
How wide are the boards?

Don't know yet but there will be a range of random widths, haven't started slicing the quarters - I'll know better tomorrow, weather permitting.

As for planing, doubt I'll have time to play tomorrow - but well see.

Thanks

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well I guess I didn't scare to many folks off :-D. John 8/4 like the last batch?

Thanks

Yeap, the strong 8/4 you sawed last time was perfect. I should easily get a dressed 2" out of it.
If you could get one wide one around 10/4 that just over 7" that would be awsome for me. :)

:)

J

jeff...

Finally the boards are falling :-D. The way this log jumped off the mill, I was starting to think it didn't want to be sawed. I still need to edge the boards, but I think I can make 60% @ 7" or better easily.

Attachments

• Dec01$01.jpg
    Dec01$01.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 353
  • Dec01$02.jpg
    Dec01$02.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Dec01$03.jpg
    Dec01$03.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Dec01$04.jpg
    Dec01$04.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 207
J

jeff...

John, here's the board sizes, There's a few boards 7" wide and under. I still need to trim the ends and coat with ancoseal. I'll try snap some pics as I'm loading it. I plan on dropping it off at Clay's tommorow, so we can utilize the NCWoodworker pony express.

#16 8/4" x 6" x 9' 9BF
#15 8/4" x 8" x 8' 10.67BF
#14 8/4" x 8" x 7' 9.33BF
#13 8/4" x 7" x 8' 9.33BF
#12 8/4" x 9" x 5' 7.5BF
#11 8/4" x 9" x 7' 10.5BF
#10 8/4" x 6" x 9' 9BF
#9 8/4" x 8" x 9' 12BF
#8 8/4" x 10" x 9' 15BF
#7 8/4" x 7" x 7' 8.17BF
#6 8/4" x 9" x 7' 10.5BF
#5 8/4" x 5" x 6' 5BF