Spaulted Mango Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi everyone, I posted a picture of my home made lathe a few days ago and there was a Mango bowl that I was finishing on the lathe in the picture, well this is the Mango bowl all finished, I like this piece because not only is it spaulted but it is curly too, the bowl is 17"x 14" tall.

This wood came from a tree by Hilo bay that was about 100 years old, and it survived 2 tidal waves that destroyed parts of Hilo. When I was rough cutting the bowl I carved the outside with no problem but when I did the inside about 8 inches iside the bowl was a big nail about 6 inches long, it is not uncommon to find nails and wire in big Mango trees because most mango trees were planted next to houses and they would pound nails into the tree or whatever. Thanks for looking and aloha.

Kalai:icon_thum
mangobowl004.jpg

mangobowl009.jpg

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Nicely done, Kalai. I have not seen any pieces done in mango, and the grain and spalting are interesting.

Your problems with nail & other objects is also present in trees on the east coast, which were planted in yards.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice piece! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Yep, we encounter the "shrapnel" problem here as well. Barbed wire, nails, plow points, bolts etc. Old home places seem to be the worst places for it, and the older the "worser!" :icon_scra

Have a great day!

:wsmile:

skeeter

New User
Charles
Great job on the bowl. The wood is awesome. I was on the big island last spring and stopped at a woodworkers shop to see his work. The back of his shop had a glass display cabinet filled with bowls of probably 40 different native woods. The figure on all of them was awesome. We should be so lucky.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice bowl and beautiful wood, Kalai. I can only dream of doing something that nice. Keep it up!

Kalai

New User
Chris Kalai Allen
Hi everyone thanks for the comments, hay Charles when you were in Hawaii the shop you are talking about was that Dan Deluz wood's? If so that is the best woodturner in Hawaii, he is very good and very well known for the Hawaiian Calabash bowl. Some of the wood you saw in the form of bowls came from me, I have been selling him wood for over 15 years, he is a great guy. Aloha everyone:)

Kalai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS