Shopsmith Vs Midi lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have been thinking about picking up a good used Shopsmith or a midi lathe. Since I am primarly interested in the lathe aspects, how good of a lathe is the shopsmith. I figured that there are a few other uses i would have for it such as horizontal boring. Thanks for your inputs

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Now take this for what it's worth ... I don't have one, but from what I recall the bad thing about the Shopsmith as a lathe is that it doesn't use any "standard" sized accessories (you almost have to keep with it's brand of stuff). Let the owners speak up, as I could be wrong ...

Personally, I'd do a dedicated lathe ...

Deano

New User
Deano
Brad
I have a lathe & a Shopsmith along with all the regular tools = contractors saw, drill press, router table, mortis machine and on and on, but I always go back to the Shopsmith for something. Number one with the table it makes a great drill press itself. As far as the lathe goes it is like a bench top with a frame on wheels. Regards :icon_scra:dontknow:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Brad,

You need to drop by and try my Excelsior (Rockler). I am set up for boring, though a tailstock with a longer ram would be nice. I am not pushing the brand in particular (there are several similar), but one feature I am not sure you will get on the ShopSmith is VS. It only takes a few minutes using it to have it change from a "would be nice" feature to a "must have". Having a #2MT and 1"-8TPI for accessories is also important as it gives you a very wide range of choices.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had a Shopsmith since 1980 and as others have noted it will perform many functions; turning being one. I personally turn only if I have to, i.e. make a replacement spindle etc. The variable speed is a handy feature when turning square stock to round or high speed polishing. A large blank will make the tool want to 'walk' unless you weigh it down. This pic shows what I've done to lessen that problem. It stores the accessories and adds stabilizing weight to the unit. And yes, it uses proprietary accessories. Look on the Shopsmith site to see what they offer and then on ebay for a used price. I've only turned 2-300 items but found it as good as other lathes in it's class. But it's NOT a Oneway!

Shopsmith_Storage_Cab_001.JPG

CarvedTones

Andy
Joe,

I am not clear about the VS - are you saying yours has it? I had talked to someone a few days ago who was turning on a ShopSmith and he was lamenting (a little; he didn't hate it) the choice of speeds, having to choose between 875 or 1750 (I think) as the "slow" speeds with nothing in between. One of the things that has really made me love VS is the "walk damping" it gives you. I am not sure why, but sometimes a slight speed adjustment up or down has considerably less vibration with an unbalanced blank. As I tend to scrounge wood and use splits from logs a lot, this is important to me. When turning spindles from dimensioned stock, VS is less important but still nice to have.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm very very very very very biased towards Shopsmith :)

But, I'll put that aside and try to answer your question.

Simply put, I don't think a midi is a good value. Before the Dark Siders start sharpening their skew chisels, I did not say midi lathes are junk or won't do a job well.

I find the midi lathe is an expensive (Delta is now in the $500 range) and undersized tool that is easily outgrown. It also is of limited use outside of turning.

For that reason, I'd suggest getting a used Shopsmith that has the lathe stuff with it. There was an old Magna era Shopsmith on Craigslist this week for $75.

Also, you get 700 to 5,200 rpm variable speed control using a dial, not changing belts. In the end, you also have a tool capable of many tasks. As a drill press and disc sander, its hard to beat.

I'd say you can safely find a well equipped Shopsmith in the $350 range. You will also find ~2.38 gazillion parted out Shopsmiths on e-bay, so I'd not let the "proprietary" issue factor too heavily in such comparisons.

Hope I kept my bias to a minimum.....

Jim

CarvedTones

Andy
Interesting; is VS on older ones? Maybe that is what he has. I will PM him about this thread in case I am misquoting...

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
The Shopsmith has always had the variable speed sheave pully setup. It goes back to the 1950's with the Magna models.

The head design and the frame have changed very little. They've added more of an enclosure around the belts and the motors have improved. But, with few exceptions parts from today's Shopsmith can be used on any model in the line. A majority of the changes come in larger table systems.

Yeah, yeah, I really dig this stuff :)

Jim

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Andy is referring to my Shopsmith which is the model 10ER which is the predecessor of the Shopsmith V which is the essential Shopsmith machine today. It does not have variable speed but has three pulley settings. I believe that the speeds are about 900, 1725, 3450 as the motor is 1725 rpm.
I just recently discovered how much easier it can be to turn at a higher speed as long as everything is trued up and in order. The one really positive thing about my venerable 10ER is that it is made out of some serious cast iron. I have only once got it to dance around with an out of balance piece and was able to calm it down by lowering the speed. It has a 5/8" arbor but I had no problem finding an adapter to make it a standard 1" 8tpi. It is an amazingly useful and substantial piece of iron. The icing on the cake was that it cost me $50.

Unfortunately I cannot really comment on how it compares to other lathes because I have never used any others but I can say with complete confidence that you can turn on it. At least find out if turning is something you want to do. I have not regretted buying, and hauling it home.
I am in the process of finding a Harbor Freight 34706 so I am very curious to see how that will differ. The first thing I will be doing is putting some serious cement bags on the bottom.

Here is a link to a pdf of the original manual.
http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ss10ermanual.html
This is a nicely restored 10ER from the same site.
http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ss10errcrestore.htm

I will be sure to post my thoughts on the differences between the 10ER and whatever lathe I get next is. Part of the beauty of the Shopsmith is that I can tell my significant other that I can continue to use the Shopsmith for all kinds of non lathe stuff.

Happy turning,
Jim Lee

ednl

ed
Senior User
Brad -

I have been using my shopsmith 10er regularly since 1977... I can vouch for what nearly everyone says about any shopsmith... it does nothing as well as a dedicated single-purpose tool... but it does five different things good... these days I use it primarily as a lathe and a horizontal borer... the shopsmiths' performance still exceeds my personal skill...

it's not for sale... too sentimental... made in the same year I was born (much earlier than 1977 !!!)... but if you would like to give it a test drive, or just look it over, you've very welcome to come over one day - please send me a PM...

ed

CarvedTones

Andy
Well then, I will amend my advice. A ShopSmith with VS seems as good a choice as a midi for what you want to do. You have seen mine; once I added the extension there is no space savings over the ShopSmith. There can be a significant cost savings with a midi if you are looking at new tools, but even that disappears if you have an alliegence to a favorite color. I bought my lathe from a walk in Rockler store as a T-Day door buster, got the extension from PSI through Amazon to get free shipping (and then painted it black), got the stand on sale at HF and the shelves were from a FREE ad in the classifieds. I have a minimal set of tools and chucks, some of which also are HF, but also a few Sorby tools in the mix. I have spent about $350 total so far. The flip side is this is a single purpose machine with a 1/2 HP motor and a lowest speed of about 650 or so. I am quite happy with that.

Len

New User
Len
I have a Shopsmith Mark V Model 510. As others have said, it does several things in an okay manner. But none of them as well as a dedicated machine, except maybe using it as a horizontal boring machine. The few times I tried using it is a lathe, I found the high speed setting wasn't really high enough for turning spindles.

Len

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Well, I ended up finding a super deal on a Jet JWL-1236 that had been used only a few times. Guess this will help the wife and kids determine if they want to turn and I get the benefit of another toy for the shop. If they like it and stick with it for a while then i will look at upgrading. Thanks for all your inputs

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
But, but, but!!!!!

You'll be back, and we'll be waiting..........

Spin-cerely,
The Shopsmith Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS