Second Guy Learning to turn, and what I've learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Hello everybody,

I am fairly new to the forum. I have been lurking for the most part for the past few months. Only coming out on a few posts. I think this is a great forum and want to thank everyone for the great information that gets posted.

Several weeks ago my wife purchased a slot for me in a Turning 101 class at the Woodcraft Store in Greensboro. This got me hooked and interested.

I made the plunge last week and purchased the Rikon mini lathe from WoodCraft in Raleigh for $250.00 dollars. I did look at the whole spectrum of lathes from the smallest to largest I thought I could afford and I had the space for. I went with the Rikon because I thought it was the best deal for me.

After a few days of turning fancy sticks, I wanted to do some pens, so back to WoodCraft I go. Greg from WoodCraft was a great help and very patient with me while I asked him a million questions.

So now I have 3 pens to show in only a week from purchasing the lathe. I figure at this point those pens are about $150.00 each when you figure all the money I have tied up in Lathe, Turning tools, Mandrel, Bushings, etc.

I LOVE IT. It is addicting and very satisfying. I never thought that I would enjoy turning. It never appealed to me before.

I do have a question about the finish on the pens. I turned a curly maple pen a few nights ago, I put one coat of CA glue on, sanded that to 1200 grit. Then polished with HUT pen polish sticks. The pen has some very high gloss spots, but most of it is not. Did I sand to much of the CA glue off? What other methods of finish are there that would produce a high gloss finish?

woodguy1975

New User
John
A CA finish must be applied with multiple coats. I typically use medium and will coat it at least 6 times. On more difficult pens I've used as many as 10 coats of thick CA to get the finishe I needed (corn cobb and such) You sanded through your CA. This is a lesson that most pen turners go through. Also 1200 grit isn't enough for polish. Get you some micro mesh or Abralon. I've also had success with automotive polish to get the sheen. Don't bother with Hut sticks, friction polish, or any other shortcut pen finish. They won't give a durable finish. There is no better than a good CA finish.

I'll be running my advanced pen turning class soon. I teach CA finishing, as well as cartridge pens, segmented pens, corn cobb pens, custom cast resin pens,.......

Good luck,

John

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
You sanded through your CA. This is a lesson that most pen turners go through.

Oh yeah.. and some of us seem to go through it again...

and again...

and again...

and again...

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
its seems pretty soon this forum will be the NCwoodworker Turners(please place some intellectual smart thing here other than what I have said) Glad to have you aboard. Be blessed friend.

woodguy1975

New User
John
It wasn't the instruction. It's just the execution!!!:lol:

I knew you guys were sleeping during that segment of the class. LOL

ebarr

New User
Wayne
So let me get this straight. I should do multiple coats of CA, then simply polish with car wax?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
At times I will do the ahlrey Davidson method for a CA finish.
Put multiple coats of thick on, a little medium sometimes thin.
Let it cure skew it even and MM

dozer

Mike
I'll be running my advanced pen turning class soon. I teach CA finishing, as well as cartridge pens, segmented pens, corn cobb pens, custom cast resin pens,.......

Good luck,

John

Let me know when the class is going to be John I would like to attend

Thanks Mike

cskipper

Cathy
Why does CA need to be at least 6 coats thick? I know that is what I always heard, but wasn't sure why.

J

jeff...

So where are the pics of the 3 pens? You know how picture happy we are around here. I swear you guys are going to make me go out and buy a lathe... Oh No did woodguy post to this thread? I can feel it – Resistance is futile to the dreaded "Woodguy Disease".

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Why does CA need to be at least 6 coats thick? I know that is what I always heard, but wasn't sure why.

That's why it's the HArley Davidson mehthod.
put enough on and you skew it off , what's left is the finish.
The thicker you put on the more room for error.

woodguy1975

New User
John
That's why it's the HArley Davidson mehthod.
put enough on and you skew it off , what's left is the finish.
The thicker you put on the more room for error.

Exactly!!!!!!!!! :) Nice to have you around again Eagle.

For polishing for the skew challenged you should work through grits from 150 to 1000 automotive and then move to the polishing materials such as micro mesh, Abraylon, or rubbing compound. Automotive wax isn't polish. You want rubbing compound and swirl remover if you go the automotive route. I prefer micromesh or Abralon.

Good Luck,

John

Greybeard

New User
Pat

Good luck,

John

John, Please let me know when you will be running your next class and what the cost will be. I would love to attend the class. I will have 2 people to attend, myself and my daughter. :)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS