oak, mahogany, cherry, walnut shorts and spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I bought the wood mshel posted the other day, but could not haul it all. I updated my PE request:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38577

to offer some of what is left (pretty much as much as you want) in exchange for hauling it. I did pay for it, but I have to get it out of his way before the end of next week and it was a very reasonable price (I felt like a bandit with just what I was able to haul) so I would be okay with someone getting the rest and making a site donation instead of delivering some to me if Raleigh/Cary (where I am) is too far but Wilson (where the wood is) is not.

I am terrible at estimation, but I will do it anyway and tell you what I am basing it on. I hauled about half of it in my Cube. With the seats down, it claims cargo space of 58 cu ft, but I have the cargo organizer that probably makes it only 50. I did not fill it to the roof, but I think I filled it over half way in height and put a few pieces in the front passenger seat. Even if only 20% of the cargo space is actually filled with wood, 10 cu ft = 120 board foot. Walnut and cherry (which is mostly what I got) weigh about 3 lbs a board foot and the back end is sitting noticeably low with the wood in it. Definitely more than 300 lbs. What I am getting at is I think there is over 100 board foot left there, but I repeat that I have a history of being bad at estimating (after all, I thought it would all fit in the Cube :rolleyes: :rolf: ).

Below is one of mshel's pictures. Upper left is mahogany, which I only took a little of. lower left is small mahogany pieces I took none of. Upper middle is cherry and walnut and I took quite a bit of that. Upper right is oak and I took almost none of that. Lower right is mostly walnut and I took quite a bit (most?) of it, but there are a few shorts (3' - 4') still there. If you looked at mshel's listing, the stuff on the table top in a different picture I took also. I took maybe half of what is in the picture. It's all good stuff; he saved all this for a reason.

3fcbm7x1.jpg

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Im not far from Wilson. I could get the wood and store it for awhile if you want me to. My brother has a barn I could store it in. Or if you are sure you got all of the wood you want then I could get it out of his way and some of it to use.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hi Andy,

I'm here in Cary and I might be able to borrow the wife's pickup this weekend. How far is it round trip from here to where the wood is.

- Ken

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nothing for a while and now there are two of you...

Ken,

From the belt line and 264, it is 45 minutes without risking a ticket.

My availability as far as being away from the house this weekend is very limited and I would have to see if Michael is available to meet.

Johnny,

Your offer is what this site is about; offering to haul and store and use some only if I don't need it. I would absolutely load you down with some good wood if I end up going that route, but if Ken is able to get it back to Cary, I gotta lean that way first to see if it works out.

What sort of stuff are each of you looking for?
IMO, sorting through what I have, the real value is in the red spindles - mahogany and cherry. The walnut spindles are good also, but there some potentially stunning flutes (what I am making) in the cherry. The flat stock is all pretty boards with a defect somewhere, usually minor. They could be really good for making jewelry boxes and such.

I did not look close at the oak; it's just not a music wood of note (pun intended) but it looks like there are good quality spindles and shorts of that.

I hope you are spindle turners; there is top quality spindle stock. the flat stuff is less exciting. It's pretty and usable but only in small projects.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Andy, I completley understand that if you could get it back to your place with Ken that is the best case senario. My hats off to ya Ken for the generous offer to help out.

If things dont work out let me know and I do what I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS