Status
Not open for further replies.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New Shop, sort of... Walls.. Photo Update 11/24

I'm curious about your lift. It looks like it is not guyed up (can't see from photos) and relies on the weight of the wall to hold it at an angle. Is the bottom just on a hinge that you screw into the deck? I can't see the pulley, but assume that the come-along cable goes over one at the top and then down to the top plate of the wall you are lifting. I can't see how it does not fall over without guy lines. Can you clarify?

The bottom of the "crane" is on a hinge, screwed to the floor, there is a pulley embedded in the top of the crane and as the wall is lifted, the crane rests on the top plate, following the wall up. This was not my idea, you can buy this machine made by Tie Down Engineering but is was expensive at about $350 each, in pairs, and for one house I felt I could build something adequate. It seems to be. Also, I am only lifting sections 16 feet or less, that's about all I can handle. The commercial stuff can do up to 70 foot, sheathed walls.

I try to attach the crane at the center of gravity relative to the top plate, and then to the floor at the same spot. The bottom plate is up against the cleats on the outside so everything is pretty well balanced.

Clear enough?

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member

Smashing progress you've made there. :eusa_clap

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member

Looks a lot like things I've come up with too, the only thing I would do different is put the sheathing on the wall before I raised it, your set up very likely would handle it, and the sheathing would make the wall more stable when raised IMHO. That's about the same way I did my shop walls, and I did them nearly by myself, being 2x6 construction. This looks really good, great progress!!!!:thumbs_up

TN Woodie

New User
John

Looks a lot like things I've come up with too, the only thing I would do different is put the sheathing on the wall before I raised it, your set up very likely would handle it, and the sheathing would make the wall more stable when raised IMHO. That's about the same way I did my shop walls, and I did them nearly by myself, being 2x6 construction. This looks really good, great progress!!!!:thumbs_up

I considered the sheathing, but with all the short wall pieces, I couldn't figure a way to interleave the sheets. I am not going to do the roof trusses, so I will have that crew sheath the walls at the same time.

TN Woodie

New User
John
Merry Christmas.. Photo Update 12/22

End of year update. The weather has been a major factor in the slow progress lately but the exterior wall is framed except for the header for the garage doors. That is waiting on pouring the floor in the garage and that is waiting on the weather.

Picture_00410.jpg

This is the winter view of the creek from the location of the bay window in the master bedroom.
East.jpg

Here we look east across the house, the master suite will be at the far end.
West.jpg

Now looking west, with the second and third bedrooms at the far end. The one on the right will be like a second master with private access to the bathroom in between the two.

That's going to be about it for the year, we are leaving for Florida tomorrow for Christmas with the families. I am looking forward to the new year and getting a roof on this thing.

M

McRabbet

Re: Merry Christmas.. Photo Update 12/22

Good progress, John -- obviously a labor of love during bad weather. Have a safe trip to Florida and enjoy your Holiday! Family is first this time of year.

SubGuy

New User
Zach

That's going to be about it for the year, we are leaving for Florida tomorrow for Christmas with the families. I am looking forward to the new year and getting a roof on this thing.

Where at in Florida? I will be here till Christmas Eve Morning. Then home for the holidays!

TN Woodie

New User
John
Merry Christmas.. Photo Update 12/22

I guess I should have included this picture...
Picture_0016.jpg

The walls for the garage were built on the main floor, then set in place with the backhoe my excavator was using to fill the garage. This shows pretty well what the house will look like from the street.

We will be in Orange City, Melbourne and Port Orange for Christmas with the families.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Re: New House/Shop ... Merry Christmas.. Photo Update 12/22

John,

It looks like it's coming along very well. Sorry that the weather has slowed the progress, but it will be finished in due time. I hope you and your family have a very happy holiday. :icon_thum

TN Woodie

New User
John
What goes around comes around

What a trip... It used to be about 90 miles, 2 hour each way, but now with I40 closed, all in all I spent 11 hours and drove 450 miles, retrieving the lumber from the kiln in North Carolina. (Bee Tree Hardwoods).

Anyway, it's here now and that's that.
Picture_126.jpg

Rented a trailer and made it in one HEAVY load.

Picture_1301.jpg

According to the receipt, 1115 Board Feet.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Re: What goes around comes around

Dude...that's a HAUL!

That should keep you busy for a little while!

How's the house portion coming?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Re: New House/Shop ... Lumber is home ... Photo Update 1/5

It looks like trip was only the beginning of the fun, now for the installation.:gar-La;

Good luck John.

TN Woodie

New User
John

Due to weather and holiday travel, the house hasn't changed in a couple of weeks.

SubGuy

New User
Zach

I guess I should have included this picture...

The walls for the garage were built on the main floor, then set in place with the backhoe my excavator was using to fill the garage. This shows pretty well what the house will look like from the street.

We will be in Orange City, Melbourne and Port Orange for Christmas with the families.

Man, I live in Port Saint John, about dead middle of those two. PM me if you go visit family b4 May. We can grab a cold one or some sweet tea (depending on your "taste") and talk shop or something.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Every time I read this thread I just start drooling! Really excellent work!

TN Woodie

New User
John
Re: New House/Shop ... Framing ... Photo Update 1/28

Finished the framing today, now we wait for the roof trusses and some decent weather. The trusses will be here Monday or Tuesday, the weather I am not so sure about.
Framing_001.JPG

Framing_002.JPG

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Re: New House/Shop ... Framing ... Photo Update 1/28

Thats going to be a great house and nice shop. Congratulations John

TN Woodie

New User
John
Roof on

I didn't try to do this myself, there are some things to big, even for me.
A great crew set the trusses, finished the framing on the roof, and installed the sheathing on the roof and the rest of the house. Now I can work, even when it is raining, which is hardly ever here in Tennessee. :wwink:

roof_008.JPG

This is only three of the 12 on the crew.

roof_103.JPG

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Re: Roof on

Looking really good. I did framing for a few years those pictures sure do bring back some memories.

Are you going to do the roofing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS