Maple Hard Or Soft???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeeves

New User
dwight
I Have An Order For Some Maple Kitchen Cabinets. Would Soft Maple Do? What Is The Advantages And Dis-advantages? Thanks Dwight

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would go with the hard maple, generally more uniform in color and texture, and more durable, though 'soft' maple is also quite hard. from my personal 'hardness' test, I can tell no difference between hard and soft maple when LOML cracks me over the head with either product. Don't need no stinkin' Janka scale here!:lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Soft Maple would do quite well. Most commercial Maple cabinets are soft Maple. It is easier to work, costs less and in most folk's eyes it is Maple, they know no different. Unless you were specified Hard Maple, or feel like you need to do an exceptional job with these cabs. (like making them for the MIL or the Wife) I'm thinking using hard Maple over soft would just be overkill. Only if the final finish you are looking for is very light, then you might find a lighter, more consistent color in hard Maple.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Last edited:

rhett

New User
rhett
Hard is considered stain grade and soft is considered paint grade by industry standards. Manufactured cabinets use soft b/c its cheap. When making custom anything use the best material available IMHO. You will be able to tell the difference on the finished piece.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Most of the soft maple I have seen has greater variation in color with darker coloration than hard maple. Some feels and looks more like poplar without the greenish hue. If you aren't sure about the look, get a piece of each and finish using your full intended schedule. A lot depends on what look you are going for.

adowden

New User
Amy
I agree with what everyone else said. Hard maple is better if you are using a natural finish because it has less mineral deposit spots. Soft maple is O.K. if you want to see more brown spots or if you are using a darker finish.

Amy

DavidF

New User
David
I personally prefer the look of soft maple as It's a little more interesting, but for kitchen cabs where you are going to have a large expanse then the more uniform Hard Maple may be less visually over powering.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
The color variation issue is a kiln drying problem as there should be no brown spots except for mineral staining and that should be a no issue especially if is it is sorted for color. I have found no "quality" advantage between RED/WHITE maple [soft] and SUGAR maple [hard] except in flooring applications and musical instruments(only figured stock). HARD maple in fact tends to have more brown staining than red or white maple from improper drying. I personally like white and red maple over hard maple due color consistency. MOST of your fiddleback maple is soft maple and makes a super cabinet.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I did some cabinets for my mother a few years back, used soft maple and stained to the color she picked out. I would have not stained them myself, I'd have rather had them natural but they did take stain rather well. Of course this picture is a bit far away to tell a lot of detail. They look as good up close as they do standing away. The soft maple was easy enough to work and finish, I'd think that hard maple would present the problem of being harder to work unless you are really into that. :lol:

Attachments

• kitchenpic.JPG
    kitchenpic.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS