Looking For Interesting Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Hi ,
I am a flutemaker and am looking for some interesting pieces of wood.Could use some in approx sizes 1 1/2" wide x 3/4"thick x 30" long Thanks

woodArtz

New User
Bob
We have quite a few wood suppliers in the Woodworking in NC section above. Are you carving or turning?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Mike! Welcome to NCWW. How about introducing yourself in the "who we are" forum! We'd like to know a little about you and see some of your flutes!

As for interesting wood, there are really too many options to list. What is the process for making a flute? Are there any special characteristics that are needed?

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Hi Ed,
Ive been playing these flutes for approx 8 to 10 yrs off and on...I just began making some a yr ago. Basically Ive been using what Lowes has ...the oak and poplar. I get wood 1 1/2 wide x 3/4" thick 30 " long depending on what flute Im making..I rout a 3/4 or 7/8 half round in two pieces and then glue them together.....Then after drying I have been taking the corners off with a 45 deg bit (wood will be in hexagon shape now)and sand sand sand........Ive been learning on this part...Now I have changed somewhat on this and plane the thickness down to 1/8 or so and then sand...Planer saved a lot of work....(I even now have another router bit that will shorten this even more and bring me closer to a tube than the other steps but Ive got to do some experimenting .Anyhow after getting the general flute shape I shape the mouthpiece...These are flutes that you play using your embrouchere...sort of like blowing across a drink bottle...And then you drill your holes a certain size and location tuning as you go......
A friend in Charlotte did give me some different woods.......Makore known as African Cherry too, canary wood, purpleheart and ambrosia maple. I have also used some flamed box elder I bought from a saw mill in Texas....very beautiful wood...I will post some pics when I get a chance but basically these are simple tubes and it takes a bit to learn to play them..........Blessings Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS