Harpsichord Project Part 1 - Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I like to start by building the keyboard first because it requires very small tolerances and, therefore, the highest level of concentration. Doing this first, before my mind turns to mush, has worked well for me. While I have already had a full-sized plan printed, at this point I am taking measurements directly from the CAD file on my computer. There will be 3 or 4 posts pertaining to the keyboard itself. In this part (Part 1) we'll build the keyboard blank and the keyframe. So - let's build a keyboard.

The keyboard is made of 1/2" thick poplar. The first step is to edge glue enough stock to make a keyboard blank somewhat wider than the final width of the keyboard. The first photo shows the individual pieces that have had their edges jointed.

KEYBOARD1.JPG

In the next photo, the six pieces are edge glued together.

KEYBOARD2.JPG

The next two photos show the glued together keyboard blank with the plan of the keyboard drawn onto it. I won't go into the details of how this is done but if anyone wants to know I'll be glad to provide more details.

KEYBOARD3.JPG

KEYBOARD4.JPG

Now we'll put the keyboard blank aside for a while and build the keyframe that the keyboard will sit on. The keyframe stiles are made of poplar and the rails are made of red oak and maple. Steel pins will be driven into the two rails which will guide the keys. More on this later. The next photo shows the parts of the keyframe before assembly.

KEYBOARD5.JPG

After the keyframe has been glued together the keyboard blank is placed onto it. The next photo shows the alignment marks drawn on the side of the keyframe and keyboard blank to insure that the keyboard blank is in the proper position on the keyframe. When this is so, a couple of brads are driven through the keyboard blank into the keyframe to hold the two together. The positions of the 102 holes that will be necessary have already been drawn onto the keyblank. By drilling the holes while the keyframe and keyboard blank are attached together guarantees that the holes always line up to one another when the keyframe and keyboard blank are separated.

KEYBOARD6.JPG

After all of the holes have been drilled the 2 brads are pulled out and the keyframe and keyboard blank are separated. The next photo shows the some of the steel pins being installed into the holes in the keyframe.

KEYBOARD7.JPG

After all of the pins have been installed, small felt punchings are inserted onto the pins on the balance rail (the front rail) and a strip of dense felt is glued onto the back rail. The next photo shows the completed keyframe.

KEYBOARD8.JPG

Now - back to the keyboard blank. Each natural key will have a decorative piece attached to its front. These pieces are called arcades. It is easier to glue a strip of arcades to the front of the keyboard blank BEFORE the keys are cut apart. The following photo is actually five photos of the arcade blank put into one photo (thanks to PhotoShop) to save space on this post.

KEYBOARD9.jpg

Strip A shows the arcade blank. The vertical lines correspond to the centers of each of the natural keys.

Strip B shows the first hole drilled with a 5/8" forstner bit.

Strip C shows the second hole drilled with a 3/8" forstner bit.

Strip D shows the third hole drilled with a 1/8" brad point bit.

Strip E shows the completed arcade blank which has been trimmed to the same height (1/2") as the thickness of the keys.

The next photo shows the arcade strip being glued to the front of the keyboard blank. Duct tape provides more than adequate clamping.

KEYBOARD10.JPG

The next photo shows the keyboard with the arcade strip installed

KEYBOARD11.JPG

Finally, the rear 3/4" of the keyboard blank is thinned down to 3/16" on the router table. The reason for this will be shown later.

KEYBOARD12.JPG

Each key is numbered - a very important step as will be obvious in the next Part. That concludes the construction of the keyboard blank and keyframe. In the next Part we'll cut the keys apart and fit them onto their keyframe pins. See you soon!

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Benchhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f101/harpsichord-project-part-12-music-desk-18962/

Last edited:

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Ernie, I can tell already that project requires much more attention to detail than I could ever hope to have. This is going to be an interesting photo essay.

skeeter

New User
Charles
OK, I gave up after the second photo. This will still be very interesting to follow.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, the details, the precision, the excellent photo-documentation. Thanks for posting this thread and taking the time to show us how you do the magic that you do. This is very interesting :icon_thum

Dave:)

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Ernie, so the pins are set by hand with the hammer? Do they have to be at 90 degrees to the keyboard, and also any special height to them??

Tom

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Keep the pics coming-very interesting:icon_thum

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Fascinating. It's amazing to me that someone builds these things out of the same material I've made my crooked drawers with.

Thanks very much for the details, it's great to take it all in.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Holy cow. I can't wait to see this whole thing through. Thank you for posting this. I always wondered what was involved in building something like this.

J

jeff...

Mr. Miller Thank you very much for posting this - I find it very interesting

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I'm so glad so many of you find this interesting. Thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

Tom - Yes the pins are driven in with a hammer. I make a hardwood block to use as a height gauge. The balance rail (the rail with the red punchings) pins are 7/8" high and the back rail pins are about 1" high. Actually the pins are 90 degrees to the keyframe rails not to the keyboard. The keyboard is lower in the back than the front. It's hard to tell from the photos but the balance rail is about 5/16" taller than the back rail. This automatically makes the keys higher in the front when in rest position. The keys become roughly 90 degrees to the keyframe rails when the key is in its down position. The pins are nickel plated soft steel and can easily be tapped into dead vertical if they're not so after banging them in.

For those of you who said you like details, you'll find more in my next post. One of the main reasons that harpsichords were never mass produced in a factory is the amount of hand work necessary to make them work properly. Some things just can't be done by machine as you'll see in Part 2.

Keep the questions coming - I'll do my best to answer them.

Ernie

M

McRabbet

Ernie,

This is going to be a superb thread and we thank you for tackling both the photography and the precision woodworking! I've been away at the Klingspor show for two full days or I would have posted earlier! Keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS