Harbor Freight Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Ok, so christmas craft season is quickly approaching. My wife likes to make handmade gifts with the kids for family and friends. Mostly stocking stuffer type stuff. She'd like to do ornaments this year and there are two piecies of equipment that would make my part in it much easier. A scroll saw and a benchtop sander. So, I've got very little in the way of discretionary funds right now but I did some across coupons for the following two machines at Harbor Freight:

16" variable speed scroll saw
4x36 Belt/6" Disc Sander

With coupons they're $50 each. Think they're worth buying as "disposable" tools to get me through the holidays and hold me over until I can buy their permanent replacements?

Thanks,

Travis

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Travis I personally would go for the belt sander. I have my eye on that particular one I just keep procrastinating as far as the Scroll Saw goes it would be disposable. I have looked at it a couple of times in the store and it seems very flemsy and pretty light. I guess it all depends on what you want it for. If you are going to do just small ornament types of things then it probably will do what you are looking for. I will let some of the more experienced scrollers jump in here. If you do go for it make sure you get it mounted firmly to a stable bench or something that will help tone down some of the vibrations.

DavidF

New User
David
I have actually been very happy with the tools I have bought from Harbor Freight. If I was a contractor using them all the time they probably wouldn't last long, but for the hobbyist they seem just fine. No personal experience on your specific tools.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Feel like a drive to Greenville SC?
15" Delta for $80

15" Srollsaw made by Delta. Excellent condition. $80.00.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3na3m53p45Td5Rd5S39ase96c388e08df10cb.jpg
3m23oc3l05Tf5Qe5Pb9as01d94c12173c1dd0.jpg
3n13o53p15O15Rc5S59asc6be8896f247120f.jpg

PostingID: 1441999295

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It is a good way to find out if it is a tool you will use or something you like to do so why not?

I have a few tools from Harbor Freight, and if it is something I like using, but I am not happy with the performance from Harbor Freight, I upgrade it when I can. If I don't use it or don't like what it does, I haven't lost that much.

My only suggestion is to not be afraid to take it back. If it has broken parts or something, don't assume you are stuck with it. Take it back and get another.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I assume you mean at the walk in store.

I echo Travis' comments about returns. You get 90 days on pretty much everything and they offer an extended warranty that I often get (recently did on air compressor) that is a full replacement warranty.

However, that specific model of scroll saw would be a nightmare to do ornaments with. Click on the link to download the product manual and look at how blades are changed. Ornaments typically have a lot of tight inside cuts so you would need plain end blades. That saw uses adapters and the upper one would have to be taken off and put back on with tools for each inside cut. You really want built in plain end blade capability with tool less changing on at least the top.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would think their sander is fine. I am not sure of their scroll saw. I can't tell if the saw uses pinned or pinless blades. If pinned blades then stay away. Far away.

I have two scroll saws in my shop. You are welcome to stop over sometime to use one.

CarvedTones

Andy
I would think their sander is fine. I am not sure of their scroll saw. I can't tell if the saw uses pinned or pinless blades. If pinned blades then stay away. Far away.

I have two scroll saws in my shop. You are welcome to stop over sometime to use one.

You are a sneaky old codger. :gar-Bi Let me paraphrase...

"Harbor Freight is a fine store for tools, but before you look at their scroll saw, come by and try my Hawk and my Dewalt".

It's like someone offering to let you drive their Lamborghini to go shopping for a Yugo. :rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I bought the sander about 20 years ago and was not happy with it. It never tracked well, and after 5 years of beating myself up with it, I sold it at a garage sale for $15.

I have had some real good deals from HF over the years but that was the worst one, but it was before they had local stores and all there shipping on totals over $50 was free then, shipping it back to Cal. at the time would have cost as much as the sander was worth. Now if you get a bad one you can just bring it back to the store.

Good luck on it, and if you get one write about your experiences.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Feel like a drive to Greenville SC?
15" Delta for $80

Looks interesting but there's now way I can get to G'ville right now. Is this one you just found on CL or a tool you're familiar with? I don't generally buy things blind from CL.....

Ornaments typically have a lot of tight inside cuts so you would need plain end blades. That saw uses adapters and the upper one would have to be taken off and put back on with tools for each inside cut. You really want built in plain end blade capability with tool less changing on at least the top.

So the kids are 4.5 and 2. By "ornaments" I mean outlines of Christmas trees and snowmen that they can slather in paint (along with the themselves, the table, and floor) in colors that probably have nothing to do with the season or the item in question, and wrap in homemade envelops with homemade cards.
Probably not going to be a lot of blade changing in this instance but the point is well taken. I'm guessing this wouldn't be a machine to "test drive" on more interesting projects to see if I need a "real" one?
You are a sneaky old codger. Let me paraphrase...
"Harbor Freight is a fine store for tools, but before you look at their scroll saw, come by and try my Hawk and my Dewalt".
It's like someone offering to let you drive their Lamborghini to go shopping for a Yugo.

Heh, yeah, I read it the same way! I do appredciate the invite and may eventually take you up on it! For now though I think it would just be depressing.

For the record, I'm generally on the same page with the HF stuff. I had their 10" sliding miter saw for years (the previous version) and it was pretty much bullet proof. I didn't do any "fine" work with it but it was great for framing, deck building, general maintenance, etc. My recent puchase of shop machcinery incuded their lathe which seems to get pretty good review around here. Not had a chance to put it through it's paces yet though.

Anyway, sounds like a yes on the sander and a "uhhhh, maybe" so far on the scroll saw....

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Looks interesting but there's now way I can get to G'ville right now. Is this one you just found on CL or a tool you're familiar with? I don't generally buy things blind from CL.....

No, I just saw it on CL this morning. Funny, the ad just above this one has a newer one for $225.

CarvedTones

Andy
So the kids are 4.5 and 2. By "ornaments" I mean outlines of Christmas trees and snowmen that they can slather in paint (along with the themselves, the table, and floor) in colors that probably have nothing to do with the season or the item in question, and wrap in homemade envelops with homemade cards.
Probably not going to be a lot of blade changing in this instance but the point is well taken. I'm guessing this wouldn't be a machine to "test drive" on more interesting projects to see if I need a "real" one?

I would think about a BS instead if not doing inside cuts. With a few limited exceptions, there is not a whole lot of difference in the 9" benchtop models. HF lists one of those at $140, which is far more than the scroll saw. I would get a small BS off CL with much less hesitation that with almost anything else as you find them pretty cheap and (again with limited exceptions) they are all very similar.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I would think about a bandsaw instead if not doing inside cuts. With a few limited exceptions, there is not a whole lot of difference in the 9" benchtop models. HF lists one of those at $140, which is far more than the scroll saw. I would get a small bandsaw off CL with much less hesitation that with almost anything else as you find them pretty cheap and (again with limited exceptions) they are all very similar.

I've got a nice band saw (14" rikon deluxe), just seems like a lot of machine for something so small..... But, it's a very good point. I suppose I should just invest in a decent blade for the bandsaw for this type of work over a cheap scrollsaw.....

See, I knew there was a reason to post the question!

CarvedTones

Andy
I see you have not been fully indoctrinated; you must drink more of the cool aid...

"No bandsaw is too big for anything, but all of them are too small for something."
Therefore, to ensure maximum success, when the wife okays a bandsaw for cutting 1/4" plywood, you should come home with an Oliver... :rolf:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I see you have not been fully indoctrinated; you must drink more of the cool aid...

"No bandsaw is too big for anything, but all of them are too small for something."
Therefore, to ensure maximum success, when the wife okays a bandsaw for cutting 1/4" plywood, you should come home with an Oliver... :rolf:

Heh, got it!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

:rotflm: um.... Andy? pass the kool aid!:gar-La; I like ur thinkin.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Well, I picked up the sander on the way home... good thing too, only had two left. I also left with a bunch of little "oohh, I've been needing one of those" things (that's what happens when you wander around while the guy digs though the back to find your sander).

I'll post back when I've put it through it's paces....

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
If you just need something to get you through the holidays I have 2 scroll saws and a band saw, none of which are being used. I think the BS is a 10" Delta. I'll have to look at the scroll saws to see exactly what they are. You are welcome to come get any of them to use until you can afford one. I'm an hour from Durham. One of these days I'm going to take some pictures of them so I can sell them. Until then you are welcome to try any of them.

worm1595

New User
worm
HF is ok for dolleys, anvils, clamps and stuff but if it has a power cord or battery......I would not even consider it...................................................................YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !

CarvedTones

Andy
Worm,

Is your "annelid-ical" opinion based on experience?
IMO, they do have some stuff that doesn't hold up well or isn't very precise, but there are some gems and their CS is actually pretty good at the walk in stores. The little air compressor I bought recently on sale for $40 (3 gallon, 100 PSI, 100' hose) came with a 90 day replacement warranty and for $10 I extended it another 2 years.
They have one lathe that regularly gets high marks from users and others that are not very good. I do agree that uying from them blindly isn't the best idea. The OP is trying to keep from doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS