Forrest Woodworker II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
This is a good price but I'm going to have to pretend I did'nt see this or I'll just be more broke than I am. :eusa_booh

M

McRabbet

It is a good deal, but be aware that it is the thin kerf model. I've had my full 1/8" version for three years and it still cuts like it was new and its never been sharpened, only cleaned.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I will second the caution Rob mentions. I have both and I love them both but for the most accurate cuts without any blade vibration I rely on the full thickness blade. For small fine cuts in thinner stock I have no issues with the thin kerf blade.

They are both excellent as long as you realize their limitations.

P.S. I bought the 12" Chopmaster for my Makita 1221 and I couldn't be happier. That is a nice fit for that saw a produces clean accurate cuts, cut after cut....

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Wayne, I picked up a spare 40 tooth thin kerf about a year ago at one of the sales. After six years of use I finally decided after sawing through some screws with my original, it was time to get it sharpened. I wasn't really sure it needed sharpening since it was still offering beautiful cuts, but with the 5X loupe I could see very small chips on some of the teeth. I sent it to my sharpening service and it came back like new.

I usually go for the grinding wheel to shorten screws, but I was in the process of correcting one of my mistakes and had forgotten about the screws in the joint. At least it wasn't a new blade and I did no permanent damage. Don't have any plans to try that again.

Good luck with your new blade.

Roy

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
I wasn't really sure it needed sharpening since it was still offering beautiful cuts, but with the 5X loupe I could see very small chips on some of the teeth. I sent it to my sharpening service and it came back like new.

Roy

Roy, where do you get your blades sharpened? Where I live in Little Switzerland NC, there is no one that does this. I have tried sending the blade away to sharpening services, but am wondering if there is a better place that you use.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Mtnman, I wish that I could tell you that this service is nearby, but it's in Maryland. When I lived in MD, I had only to drive about 15 miles to this place and was more than satisfied with his work. I was first referred by the sawmill where I bought my lumber.

Ben has been in the business many years and does much of the sharpening for industry in the Baltimore area. Joppa is not far from Aberdeen Proving Grounds, and he does work for them too. I offer this bit of background because he goes way beyond, sharpening tools that most of us have never seen. And he has machinery (Vollmer) that I've not seen elsewhere.

He will quote a price for sharpening and it will include return postage. I sent him some blades last year and at that time he was out of the shop on Mon & Tues picking up and delivering finished work. Suggest you call Wed through Fri.

You may find the Vollmer site interesting. http://www.vollmer-us.com/products.html

Sharpening Service:

Ben Roberson Saw & Tool
408 Pulaski Hwy Ste A
Joppa, MD 21085-3609
(410) 538-4688

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS