Fixing Stained Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck1999

New User
Chris
I did not know exactly where to post this or even if I should, but since this site seems to have a lot of knowledgeable people with a wide variety of background I will ask.

We have some stained glass windows in our Church and some of the small pieces of glass have been cracked. We do have plexiglass on the outside of the windows so nothing hits them from outside. I am not sure what caused the cracks but we believe it is the settling of the Church. That being said I contacted a company for pricing and they wanted a little under $2,000 to replace about 10 - 12 small peices. What I mean by small is less than 3" x 8" and I think this is estimating very conservatively. I think most are not even 2" in width. Anyway does this seem to be a reasonable price? This prices is for them fixing at the church and not removing the window.

Does anyone know of someone to contact for pricing?

Chris

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I did that work 35 years ago, too old to be climbing ladders and don't have the equipment or supplies now.

I would have been happy to get $100 per piece back then, (never did) seems like I charged around $20 per piece for repairs and up to $125 per square foot for new work.

Contributing factors that could make the price that high...

Very high working space
Painted and Fired or etched glass
have to remove the plexi first, could be including new plexi in cost.
Old oxidized lead is hard to solder
very odd shaped, curved or difficult to cut glass
antique hard to find glass
bad experience with this customer in the past

I don't know any other companies in the area, but you can put out the word and get dozens of quotes
if you are not in a huge hurry. Try calling the glass suppliers and ask for their 5 biggest customers.

ck1999

New User
Chris
Thanks for the replies I have contacted a company out of Knightdale and I will see what they say in comparison.

Thanks again.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS