End view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Getting ready to drill a blank for an ebony brass confusion pen.
Every time I make one of these blanks and cut it in half I am amazed at what the inside looks like.
hopefull it will be a Gent FP and even more so, hopefully it will survive drilling and turning
2194613ebonybrassblankend009.jpg

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
That's pretty neat! Is this the ends of the diamond patterns you posted?

No the "diamonds" is a variation of the "parallel wave"
These come from the middle of a blank used to make this pen.
Churchill_feathers_2.jpg

I did make a change.
The pattern repeat 8 times instead of six because the gent pen is quite a bit larger diameter, and I used a grouping of 3 pieces of brass rather than two.

Last edited:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Here's a question for you Eagle.. when you go to make something like this... can you visualize what it will look like in the end? Or do you put it together wondering .. "What would happen if I did it like this...?" Then reproduce the steps if you like the results?

nelsone

New User
Ed
I think I see what you've done. I think I'm going to see about making another inlay, like the tulip. Any suggestions on what kit to use (without breaking the bank!)?

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I think I see what you've done. I think I'm going to see about making another inlay, like the tulip. Any suggestions on what kit to use (without breaking the bank!)?
The kit is the least expensive aspect of the pen when you add your time in.
Personally I don't go in for the $40.00 kits like the emporers because they look like a cast off from the Dollar store and most of the time the fittings of the kit compete with the material in the barrel.

Look at it this way.
A Titanium gold pen may cost twice as much as an upgrade or 14 K gold pen.
lets say 15.00 versus 10.00
I can easily absorb the $10.00 into the sale of the pen.
BTW don't let your inlayed pens go cheap.Most resort to lasers and CNC which require no skill at all on the pen turners part and the "art" that which makes the pen special is done by someone else.
INlying is a skill and you should be compensated for your time.Don't sell yourself short.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Here's a question for you Eagle.. when you go to make something like this... can you visualize what it will look like in the end? Or do you put it together wondering .. "What would happen if I did it like this...?" Then reproduce the steps if you like the results?
It's a little of both.
In the beginning it was as you describe,"i wonder what would happen if....?"
After a while with failures and success you build upon different thisgs that have worked.
for example,
Istrated with something like this:
Tealsilver_wave.jpg

and then went to this

2193707CigarXweave.jpg

The pattern is the same it just gets repeated.The trick is doing it accurately.

The blank and gold pen acouple of entries above is the impetus of "Eagles Feathers" both are made the same way
2168037Eaglesfeathers84252.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS