Delta Contractors saw motor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Any diagnosis or repair hints for me?

My Delta Contractors saw motor is no longer working after I stalled the motor and tripped the breaker. It restarted one time when I reset the breaker, but now the motor only hums and does not turn.

I thought the problem might be the start capacitor, and so I pulled that off for testing; it checks out fine as the capacitance is right in the middle of the specified range.

The motor number is #62-042, 1.5 HP, wired for 115 V. The face plate says that it is thermally protected. There is no obvious run capacitor on this (unlike more recent motors on Delta saws).

Barring something simple that I can diagnose, I will need to bring this to a motor shop. Can anyone recommend a place in Raleigh?

Anyone Thanks for any ideas or hints you may have. Is there a Internet guide to electric induction motor diagnosis?

Thanks,

Henry

T

toolferone

It sounds like maybe the starter is not engaging. There is a spring loaded mechanism at the back of the motor that engages the starter windings. It has springs to hold it on until the motor gets up to speed and then pushes way with centrifugal force. You can take the back cover off maybe? and blow it out.

As far as repair shops, there are 2 in raleigh that I like. Electrical Equipment co 828-5411 (really big operation, but good service guys in the back), or Motors and Controls Inc. 828-1142 (small repair shop really nice guy)

Let us know how it goes.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Did you give it plenty of time to cool down? I once thought I had fried a motor and went begging the boss for forgiveness (it was brand spankin' new). Came in the next morning and it fired up just fine! Thermal protectors just needed time to cool down.

Same thing also just happened a week ago with my Craftsman dremel tool. I thought it was toast and gave it the rest of the day off. It went to the beach and came back rested and ready to work the next day.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There is a motor shop on south Saunders street, just below Ray Price Harley shop. It is a small cinder block building. Went in there a couple of weeks ago for first time, and was very happy with results. It was like stepping back into the 1950's. Is your motor the one with the quick disconnct plug, if so I have one you can borrow. (Long story) Tommorow, we start a nite job, so don't know if I will get to check E mails. That failing, call Tom at WC on Sat and he can give you my cell phone #, just don't call before 11AM-trying to sleep.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Fixed - Delta Contractors saw motor

All: Thanks for the repair advice, especially Tom. I dropped off the motor at Motors and Controls on Hodges St in Raleigh, and he fixed the start capacitor wire, and installed new bearings for under $40. I was very pleased.

I am back in business (well, except it's a hobby).

Henry

T

toolferone

Re: Fixed - Delta Contractors saw motor

Glad he got you fixed up and inexpensive too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS