Claro Walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I've never taken a beating from a machine like I did tonight. :swoon: Hands are nice and black and cut up. I think I'm having some problems with the lathe. When I put it on the chuck it wobbles like crazy, but it is straight, true, tight and centered. :dontknow: If you saw how the blank wobbled and the cuts I was making you would probably laugh. Anyway, that's my problem and I'll have to deal with it.

This is Claro Walnut, which felt eerily similar to Brazilian Cherry. I'm not sure if it is hardness or grain direction, but I was actually sweating in a 40 degree shop turning this thing. :wconfused: I can't believe it came out this well to be honest with you. Had to go to town with the 60 grit on this one after I was done turning.

trentpics_171.jpg

trentpics_172.jpg

If this shop doesn't look "worked in", I don't know what does.

trentpics_168.jpg

Those shavings are a foot deep (since last week)

The "infamous" nightstand, turned tool holder. The top has been glued up and clamped for about a month probably. :rotflm:
trentpics_169.jpg

This bowl is about 5 inches tall and wide and after I finished it, it occurred to me that I could've made the weed pot for Tracy out of it. Sorry man. :slap: I'll do one of those next week and get it in the mail to you. :icon_thum

Thanks for looking :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
if that is graft line then the top portion will be english walnut which can be hard as a rock.

Nice bowl

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Nice bowl :icon_thum
Sounds like some nice wood to turn, I like the harder woods, but of course with segments there is no end grain turning :gar-Bi

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Kyle already pointed out the graft line, but I will add that that wood is denser and heavier so it is out of balance on the lathe due to the weight difference.

I turned a big bowl out of eucalyptus that had the same effect.

I'd like to see you improve on your edge treatment. but your form is getting pretty good.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Trent,

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Nice work, Oh and I like the re-purposing of the nightstand/toolholder!

Very nice use !

Matt

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Kyle already pointed out the graft line, but I will add that that wood is denser and heavier so it is out of balance on the lathe due to the weight difference.

I turned a big bowl out of eucalyptus that had the same effect.

I'd like to see you improve on your edge treatment. but your form is getting pretty good.

Thanks Mike. I've had similar issues with other types of wood. When I put the chuck on the lathe, the bowl and chuck seem to be wobbling quite a bit. This effect was probably worse with the uneven weight of this blank. I'd be making cuts and the tool would be jumping an inch or two off of the tool rest. (even near the center) :swoon:

As far as "edge treatment", what do you mean by that? Is that the little marks on the sides or the actual shape of the sides? :eusa_thin

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, both. But I was thinking about the shape of the edge. I've been looking at some old ceramic bowls for inspiration.

It's hard to beat the design efforts poured into those bowls. :rotflm:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Please don't take this wrong,but I believe its your lathe setup.That looks like a HF lathe.Tried one a few yrs ago an after exchanging it four times an replacing two of the motors in less than 6 mos turning I sent it back and got a Nova 1624.that said.What you should do is put about 400 lbs of weight on the bottom,I have about 600 under my nova and it still wants to run across the floor if I put a real out of round blank on it,course I'm talkin about a 16" blank :wink_smil and your HF is a lot lighter than my nova and there is nothing there to stableize it.You shouldn't have to take a beating like that,especially on a bowl that size.I built my own stand and just put bags of concrete in it.I turn lot of seasoned walnut,so the wood hardness shouldn't cause it to wobble that bad.So you want to make that piece as round as possable with your chainsaw or bandsaw.Do those two things and I believe it will help you out quite a bit.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Well, both.
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::rotflm:

This bowl did kind've end up looking like a flower pot. :rotflm:

Please don't take this wrong,but I believe its your lathe setup.That looks like a HF lathe.Tried one a few yrs ago an after exchanging it four times an replacing two of the motors in less than 6 mos turning I sent it back and got a Nova 1624.that said.What you should do is put about 400 lbs of weight on the bottom,I have about 600 under my nova and it still wants to run across the floor if I put a real out of round blank on it,course I'm talkin about a 16" blank :wink_smil and your HF is a lot lighter than my nova and there is nothing there to stableize it.You shouldn't have to take a beating like that,especially on a bowl that size.I built my own stand and just put bags of concrete in it.I turn lot of seasoned walnut,so the wood hardness shouldn't cause it to wobble that bad.So you want to make that piece as round as possable with your chainsaw or bandsaw.Do those two things and I believe it will help you out quite a bit.

Thanks. Yep, looks like I'm heading down a similar road. I don't want to bolt it to the floor or put sand bags on it if I have to take it back. :rotflm:

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I'm not tryin to talk you into anything,but if you can still return it an afford the price,I would take that boat anchor,er sorry that lathe back and go for a Ricon or even better,the Jet 1220,it's 3/4 hp and will out do that HF by a mile,heck my little 1/2 Ricon would turn stuff the HF couldn't handle.Hope you get it all straightened out and good luck.

Ken

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I've never taken a beating from a machine like I did tonight. :swoon: Hands are nice and black and cut up. I think I'm having some problems with the lathe. When I put it on the chuck it wobbles like crazy, but it is straight, true, tight and centered. :dontknow: If you saw how the blank wobbled and the cuts I was making you would probably laugh. Anyway, that's my problem and I'll have to deal with it.

This is Claro Walnut, which felt eerily similar to Brazilian Cherry. I'm not sure if it is hardness or grain direction, but I was actually sweating in a 40 degree shop turning this thing. :wconfused: I can't believe it came out this well to be honest with you. Had to go to town with the 60 grit on this one after I was done turning.

trentpics_171.jpg

trentpics_172.jpg

If this shop doesn't look "worked in", I don't know what does.

trentpics_168.jpg

Those shavings are a foot deep (since last week)

The "infamous" nightstand, turned tool holder. The top has been glued up and clamped for about a month probably. :rotflm:
trentpics_169.jpg

This bowl is about 5 inches tall and wide and after I finished it, it occurred to me that I could've made the weed pot for Tracy out of it. Sorry man. :slap: I'll do one of those next week and get it in the mail to you. :icon_thum

Thanks for looking :eek:ccasion1

Trent

The weed pot program is ongoing and I am gonna get them all together before they are delivered. Thank you for thinking of my endeavor!!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'm not tryin to talk you into anything,but if you can still return it an afford the price,I would take that boat anchor,er sorry that lathe back and go for a Ricon or even better,the Jet 1220,it's 3/4 hp and will out do that HF by a mile,heck my little 1/2 Ricon would turn stuff the HF couldn't handle.Hope you get it all straightened out and good luck.

Ken

Ken,

I tried to take it back, but since I bought it with a giftcard, they wouldn't refund me with cash (or to my debit card). Unfortunately, right now, I would need that money to go toward a better lathe. That's the situation in a nutshell. I'm pretty much stuck with the HF lathe(s). I had it all worked out to get another one, but since I couldn't put the return money toward a new one, I simply can't afford it. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Thanks so much for your advice. :icon_thum

Trent

erasmussen

New User
RAS
You must just be having a run of bad luck,my HF lathe takes every thing I can throw at it, and I spun some big heavy 11 1/2' bowls:dontknow:
And lots of jotoba

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
You must just be having a run of bad luck,my HF lathe takes every thing I can throw at it, and I spun some big heavy 11 1/2' bowls:dontknow:
And lots of jotoba

Earl,

You and Dave and some others have had great luck with them and some folks have had stories like mine. It really seems like a crap shoot, you know? The most aggravating thing to me is that they never have them in stock and don't seem to be able to order them. If I could just exchange it for a new one and that one worked, I'd be happy.

Trent

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Trent which store did you get it at,I have never heard crap like that before ( not doubtin you ) I got mine at HF in ashville and those folks were great to work with,in fact one of the times they told me if they didn't have it in stock,they would have one in a week,max.I can understand about the bucks.Also I know a few folks that have had them for quite a while an have no trouble with em.I guess it's just the luck of the draw.Hope you can get it worked out.
Ken

liftnaleg1

New User
Chris
Also I want to ask what type of chuck you are using...I had a Talon II that was out od whak one time and it did this...make sure when you close it all the way the jaws meet in the center...Mine didnt and I found it was really only clamping on 2 sides and it was causing the bowl to actually come out of round...Just a thought you might want to look at...PLus nthat is super hard wood...What type of sharoing system do you have....Are you tools good and sharp?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Also I want to ask what type of chuck you are using...I had a Talon II that was out od whak one time and it did this...make sure when you close it all the way the jaws meet in the center...Mine didnt and I found it was really only clamping on 2 sides and it was causing the bowl to actually come out of round...Just a thought you might want to look at...PLus nthat is super hard wood...What type of sharoing system do you have....Are you tools good and sharp?

Chris,

THIS is something I've thought about to. I'm using skeeter (Charle's) chuck right now, which is a Nova. When I have the bowl on the faceplate, to start, everything is fine. But once I put it on the chuck, that's when it starts wobbling like crazy. :icon_scra It is centered and tight, but wobbles like nothing you've ever seen. That's what didn't make sense to me. And on this particular bowl, when I went to take it off the chuck, it wouldn't come off. I loosened the chuck as much as possible and it wouldn't come out of the recess. I have no idea how that happened because it slid right on when I put it on. :help: So it definitely may be the chuck. I'm hopefully getting the insert for my Super Nova 2 that I bought last weekend, then when I get home, I'll try out the new one and see if it works any better. :eusa_pray

Thanks,

Trent

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Trent that is a nice looking bowl
I'd like to get some of that claro walnut -not sure I've heard of it before, but that means little-
there are four majors things in turning
wood
lathe
tools
turner
If any one isn't up to the job you'll be disappointed.
I've seen serious turners to amazing work with any of the other 3 that I thought were unuseable. I've seen the turner negate every aspect of some great wood, high dollar tools, and a lathe I'd love to have.
Get some help from a learned friend. I went down the 'learn as you turn' road. I came close a few times to giving up.
Be sure the problem is the lathe and not something you can work on with technique and know how.
Keep turning, your stuff is looking pretty dang good!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent that is a nice looking bowl
I'd like to get some of that claro walnut -not sure I've heard of it before, but that means little-
Thanks Andrew. I read up on this type of wood and it seems that it was quite possible that one side of the blank was much denser than the other. This may have added to the wobbling when I put it on the chuck.
there are four majors things in turning
wood So far, I've turned bowls out of a few different types of wood. SYP, AM, Jatoba, Ash, QS Sycamore, Persimmon and Claro Walnut. It seems that the softer the wood, the easier it is to turn, but the harder the wood, the better the finished product looks.
lathe I've had some issues in that department. My process for the time being is to start with the top of the bowl attached to the face plate. Initially, it is wobbling, due to the fact that it is slightly off center and not round. After turning the outside and the recess on the bottom, it doesn't wobble at all. When I turn it around and put it on the chuck, this is when it starts to wobble like crazy. I'm thinking that the main issue is with the chuck. I've noticed that when the jaws aren't closed all the way and I screw it onto the headstock, I can't close the jaws all the way. :icon_scra On the bowl mentioned above, the bowl slid right onto the closed chuck and I expanded the jaws into the recess. Then when I was done and went to take it off, I couldn't get the bowl off of the chuck. :icon_scra:icon_scra I got it really close but couldn't quite get it and ended up chipping the bottom to get it off. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I purchased a new chuck and just got the insert to fit my lathe and will try it on Monday night......
tools I'm currently using a very nice 5/8"(?) bowl gouge, but it could probably use some sharpening. I have the Shop Fox 6" wide bench grinder/sharpener, but don't have the jig to make a nice clean/even passes. I'm nervous about free-handing it as that thing takes off metal in a hurry and I don't want to screw up my bevel. It is still pretty sharp though.
turner Throughout this entire process, this is probably the only thing that has improved. :rotflm: I've learned quite a bit from DaveO from a few turn and learns at his shop and have learned plenty in discussion with all of you. I've also watched Bill Grumbine's dvds a handful of times. My technique has improved a lot. I still have a long way to go, but I feel that it is the equipment that is making this difficult for the time being.
If any one isn't up to the job you'll be disappointed.
I've seen serious turners to amazing work with any of the other 3 that I thought were unuseable. I've seen the turner negate every aspect of some great wood, high dollar tools, and a lathe I'd love to have.
Get some help from a learned friend. I went down the 'learn as you turn' road. I came close a few times to giving up.
Be sure the problem is the lathe and not something you can work on with technique and know how.
Keep turning, your stuff is looking pretty dang good!

Thanks for breaking it down like this. It gave me a better way to describe what has been going on adn the issues I'm having. Basically, if I can put it on the chuck and it doesn't wobble, I'm good. Hopefully the new one will work. There is a good chance that my recesses aren't big enough, but for the size bowls that I've been turning, if I made them any bigger, it probably wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS