Cherry Pipe & Walnut Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
I recently purchased the Incra iBox Jig and had to use it. So I made this box, quick and easy for using the Jig! I highly recommend it!

A buddy of mine recently moved to Greensboro, so for a going away present I decided to try making a pipe. I had a piece of Cherry hanging around, so I researched a little, then rough cut the block, drilled the holes, (after a broken drill bit in the stem - had to start over), then shaped it with bandsaw & sander, finished up with some files & sanding.

I should have shaped it a little more, for the stem and pipe to meet up better. And I need to get proper buffing stuff, to give it a proper finish. But this is it... What do you think?
pipe-box.JPG

box-front.JPG

View image in gallery

box-lid.JPG

View image in gallery

pipe-awesome.JPG

View image in gallery

pipe-left.JPG

View image in gallery

pipe-right.JPG

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
"Holy Smokes"! :) (pun intended)

I have been a member here at NCWW for almost 7 years and can't say I have ever seen a handmade pipe here. Great gift box too!

Well done and what a great gift that will be cherished I am sure.
:eusa_clap
Wayne

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Thanks for all the comments. It was a fun project! He loves it and it smokes well, so apparently it is functional. Now working on more for Christmas presents.

heard a quote, all pipe makers may not be addicted to tobacco. But they can quickly become addicted to pipe making. I might be falling into the second.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I've been wanting to give pipe making a try for a while. I may just have to order some briar and give it a whirl. Where did you get your stems from?

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
I've been wanting to give pipe making a try for a while. I may just have to order some briar and give it a whirl. Where did you get your stems from?
On this one, I purchased a cheap pipe and swapped out. But for the ones I'm currently working on, I just ordered from http://pipemakers.org/ which has a nice assortment of many different styles of stems, they also have an assortment of briar. Should be getting them in soon, so I can drill holes then begin shaping these new pipes!

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
On this one, I purchased a cheap pipe and swapped out. But for the ones I'm currently working on, I just ordered from http://pipemakers.org/ which has a nice assortment of many different styles of stems, they also have an assortment of briar. Should be getting them in soon, so I can drill holes then begin shaping these new pipes!

Outside of the bandsaw what did you use to shape them. I've seen all different ways, lathes, disc sanders, etc. Just curious since your turned out so nice.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Everything looks tight from where I sit, Jay. Does your friend listen to heavy metal, or is the Biohazard emblem a tobacco warning? :D

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Outside of the bandsaw what did you use to shape them. I've seen all different ways, lathes, disc sanders, etc. Just curious since your turned out so nice.
Kevin, I used a disc sander and bandsaw to rough it out; after drilling holes that is. From there, I used files and rasps to keep shaping and smoothing. Some hand sanding added to the mix, which I only got up to 220 grit.

Future pipes, I will use a buffing wheel and sand with a higher grit. Then finish it off with Canauba Wax.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
I like that you put the bio-hazard symbol on the box. Nice work. Roy G

Everything looks tight from where I sit, Jay. Does your friend listen to heavy metal, or is the Biohazard emblem a tobacco warning? :D
Biohazard symbol on the box is the same symbol we use for the ministry we are involved in. I work as a Youth Pastor for middle school students, and our large group service is called Hazardous. So it has meaning to it.

Tom, he does listen to heavy metal as well! Haha

rybo

New User
rybo
Great looking pipe and box. I made a pipe last year from briar, and it was a blast. What did you finish this with?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Awesome work Jay :thumbs_up I've always wanted a pipe like the one gandolf is smoking here
gandalf_large-300x280.jpg
I bet it's a cool smoke which was the reason I gave up pipe smoking - I always seemed to get it to hot.

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Ah, just saw the canuba wax. That's what I used after a few coats of mineral oil.
Hey Rybo, I have already made another with a third pipe almost finished. It's been so awesome. They are Christmas presents. Good times, using some Rosewood on these current project pipes. An a block of briar to make one for myself.

Got any pics of your pipe?

rybo

New User
rybo
Hey Rybo, I have already made another with a third pipe almost finished. It's been so awesome. They are Christmas presents. Good times, using some Rosewood on these current project pipes. An a block of briar to make one for myself.

Got any pics of your pipe?

Here's a pic of the pipe with 2 small pipe tampers (that are mini "pipes" themselves). Nothing fancy, but it was my first wood project. I'd like to work on one next year and do it in the Danish freehand style maybe.

Also, can't wait for the Hobbit.

photo (9).jpg

ReynoldsJay

New User
Jay
Here's a pic of the pipe with 2 small pipe tampers (that are mini "pipes" themselves). Nothing fancy, but it was my first wood project. I'd like to work on one next year and do it in the Danish freehand style maybe.

Also, can't wait for the Hobbit.

View attachment 6325
That's great job yourself! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see that Danish style one you are talking about. The mini pips is a great touch for the tampers. That pattern on the back of the pipe is nice and decorative, subtle and classy. Like it. Sweetness!

Yeah, I just read the Hobbit of the first time earlier this year... so I'm excited to see that movie as well! Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS