Blade tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Among the different tools I use for pen blanks is the scroll saw.I have an older dremel with variable speed though I would like it to be slower.
My problem is I have never figured out how to adjust the tension other than a little bit less than I turn it to just before it slips loose.
I use pinless blade usually anywhere between .016 and .024.
The types of blades confuse me though I used Dutchman in the past I eem to be getting decent cuts out of Olsen blades and D&B I picked up when WC discontunued them.
So-
How do I know what proper tension on the blade is supposed to be?

Monty

New User
Monty
I wish I knew more about scroll sawing... maybe one day. Cathy (cskipper) is our forum scrollsaw expert - hopefully she'll chime in here.

cskipper

Cathy
Well, far from expert but I'm happy to chime in. The thing most folks will tell you is that it's tight right before it breaks - lots of help, huh? Or even better, tighten it until it makes a clear note sound when "plucked" - try that with a small blade (1/0 or 2/0) and let me know if you hear anything. :lol:

All that being said, your blade will break in the middle is too tight, but I very rarely have that happen (hope I didn't just jinx myself :lol: ). Another thing to watch for is the blade seems a little wobbly. You can't see this without a piece of wood or something against the blade because the wobble can be very slight but still cause a problem. I tighten mine until it really doesn't "give" when I apply pressure against the side of it.

Hope that helps.

cskipper

Cathy
I don't know how to answer that - a fair amount. Figure that you don't want to be able to push the wood and the blade move sideways.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I tune by blade pitch too. You just want a nice crisp high pitch note. Too loose and you'll get multiple frequencies. I tune bandsaw tensions the same way. :)

Thanks,

John

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Thanks for the replies.
I have been using the "latteral push unitil it slips method".
I was hoping there was something more "difinative"

Greybeard

New User
Pat
Eagle,
What model saw do you have? I have the Dremel 16 inch VS, model 1680. I checked the manual and this is what it said about tensioning the blade:

"Moving the lever downward should require moderate,
steady pressure only. If heavy pressure is needed, the
blade is too tight. Loosen tension by rotating the Quick Release
Tension Lever counterclockwise 1-2 turns, then reset the tension
lever to the “down” position. If the tension lever is in the
“down” position and the blade is too loose, you can increase
tension by leaving the tension lever “down” and rotating it
clockwise just until you feel the slack in the blade removed.
Then turn the tension lever ONE full turn clockwise. This amount
of blade pressure should do well for most cutting operations
and blades (Fig. 7).
When the blade tension has been properly adjusted, you should
be able to lift up the Quick Release Tension Lever, remove and
install the blade, lower the lever and return the original blade
tension."

I don't know if this is the saw you have or if you have the manual for it if it is, but here is the url for a pdf copy of the manual:

These procedures work fairly well for me. I don't break too many blades!Hope this helps you out!

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Thnaks Grey beard, that is the one I have (I think)
I am on uncharted ground with some of the stuff I do with it so I never know If I have the right blades, tension etc.
I very rarely cut anythin thinner than 3/4 " and sometimes I even cut wood with it.:icon_thum

mac martin

New User
mac
After burning out the variable speed "thingie" on my dremmel, I got a delta.
Enough about that.
May "sound" funny, but I have been tuning mine when I can barely push the blade back, and plucking it gives me a loosly tuned "high C" . at least one I can still whistle from High School Glee Club.

Not very precise, but hope it helps.
Mac:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS