Biscuits , Frames and Panels *MORE PROGRESS (and pictures)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Re: Biscuits , Frames and Panels *UPDATE*

Bas,

I didn't know you did woodworking, I thought you just bought tools? :dontknow: :rotflm: (just kidding)

The cabinet looks very nice. Never used a biscuit joiner before. Thanks for all of the info. :icon_thum

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

I didn't know you did woodworking, I thought you just bought tools?
Well, you're pretty close. I only do woodworking to see if the tools actually work. Buying tools is much more fun than making stuff. There is the research, the pre-gloat, the self-delusion on how this new tool will make you a much better woodworker, and the total absence of glue in your hair, cabinets that aren't square, stock cut too short, finishes that look blotchy, sanding dust in your nose and plywood voids.

:tool::tool::tool:

BarryC

New User
Barry

... the self-delusion on how this new tool will make you a much better woodworker, and the total absence of glue in your hair, cabinets that aren't square, stock cut too short, finishes that look blotchy, sanding dust in your nose and plywood voids.

I resemble that remark!

Nice job and great explanation of glue set up data.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Well, you're pretty close. I only do woodworking to see if the tools actually work. Buying tools is much more fun than making stuff. There is the research, the pre-gloat, the self-delusion on how this new tool will make you a much better woodworker, and the total absence of glue in your hair, cabinets that aren't square, stock cut too short, finishes that look blotchy, sanding dust in your nose and plywood voids.

:tool::tool::tool:

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

PS: SAUSAGE! :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Biscuits , Frames and Panels - Part 3

Lots of progress this evening! It's amazing how suddenly everything starts to come together after spending so much time on each component.

I routed some trim (simple ogee) and cut the strips to 3/4 width, and attached them with glue and...biscuits! The #0 variety this time. In total, I think there are 200 biscuits in this project, and I've used the #20, #0 and Face Frame sizes. I then mounted the shelf (LOTS of measuring for this one) using the drawer slides. Finally, I added the hardware and attached the doors. For once, no major disaster in getting the doors and hardware to line up evenly.

This is where watching all those woodworking shows pays off. Rather than trying to get the shelf flush with the front, I gave it a 1/4" reveal, so that it looks like the inset was by design. Obviously I have to leave a little bit of a gap, but if I had made it 1/16" it would just have looked like a mistake.

I used small (1") L-brackets to act as stops for the drawer, that came out exactly the way I wanted. Here is a picture of the shelf pulled out. It's not full extension, but it's enough for its purpose and also a little safer.

I used two Accuride center mount drawer slides, very pleased with them so far. Although technically speaking they're not center mounted. :)

All that's left is attaching the top (the top of the panels will need a little finessing with a block plane, there's a bit of a crown due to sanding) and I'm thinking about making some little platforms between the side openings and the shelf. That should be pretty simple, some 1/4" plywood mounted to two blocks of poplar. I can use dowels to attach it to the bottom, I may not even glue it.

The shelf I'm going to finish with some oil and poly, nothing complicated. The cabinet is going to be painted, with the help of my new friend Earl:

Good thing there is a long weekend coming up! :eusa_danc

J

jeff...

200 Biscuits wow 200 really ? Be sure an put a light in there for kitty - they are afraid of the dark... side :gar-La;

Steve W

New User
Steve
Nice biscuit shootin' there, Tex!:eusa_clap

They do come in handy.

I think you're wise to limit the extension of the litter tray, as a large catbox (especially full of "used" litter!) is pretty heavy and we wouldn't want your birds flying unless it's their idea!:rotflm:

:kermit: Steve

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bas, that's a great looking project! You can be proud of that one, Bud!

Nice use of biscuits too. Inspired me to break out my BC for my next adventure.

Lots of biscuits, just need the gravy!

:gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Actually, that cage is just for two little cockatiels. But the bars are narrow enough it's not dangerous for them. I figured a cage is like a workshop, you really can't go too big :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS