Bandsaw replacement versus upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I received the Iturra Design catalog in the mail last week and have been thinking about some upgrades for my 14" Ridgid bandsaw. Riser block, guides, quick release tension, etc. adds up in a hurry! With all of the new bandsaws, 14" and larger, is it best to just upgrade to one of the newer models? Grizzly, Rikon, etc.

I know of some rebates floating around and there is the 10% off sale getting ready to start at Klingspor's. Any suggestions or comments are welcome, especially from those who have purchased recently!

Mike

Nativespec

New User
David
I did a lot of research and looking and asking around (I wanted a tall resaw capcity) and ended up buying a MiniMax for about $2,600 (delivered). The Rikon 14" was attractive, but the trunion was pointed out to be too weak. The MiniMax cost about double, but there is no comparison when looking at asian models. I doubt I will buy another bandsaw and I am glad my first bandsaw was from Lowes.

David

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I wouldn't spent any money on retrofits. Imho you'll end up with the same saw but expensive guides w/o any real improvement.
Felder make a nice saw:
Accessory Machines

3610_adetail_big.jpg

3611_adetail_big.jpg

3613_adetail_big.jpg

3610_adetail_small.jpg
3611_adetail_small.jpg
3613_adetail_small.jpg

transparent.gif
Hammer N4400

Looking for a bandsaw that is flexible, well equipped for a reasonable price? Then you are exactly right with the N4400!

Hammer N4400, - Solid cast iron wheels, electronically calibrated
- European Style upper and lower guides
- Saw blade tension indicator
- Cast iron table
- Table tiltable
- 2 Position (high/low) aluminum fence

* 3 Saw-Blades (6 mm, 10 mm, 20 mm) free
Table size16 1/2 x 22 5/8" Flywheel-dia.17 3/8" Motor power 1x 230V5.5 HP (4.4 kW) Cutting height10 7/8" Cutting width16 1/2" Fly-wheel speed rpm:850
transparent.gif

Price: list price 1,772.30 $ now only 1,695.00 $
You will save 77.30 $
transparent.gif

Order No. 504-15-453 Add to Shopping Cart
callback.gif
Callback-Service
transparent.gif

transparent.gif

Cheers,
Bernhard

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some personal thoughts.....

If you put in upgrades, will those be able to be used on a "better" saw later? I try to be fastidious in saving the upgraded bits.

If you are happy with the Rigid, and its doing the job, I see no harm in upgrading. I know that when I spend time getting to know a tool and setting it up, thats a lot of personal investment. You'd be starting over with a new saw and a new learning curve.

I would look at your usage. Is the Rigid limiting your work? Mainly in terms of bogging down with the motor or capacity.

If you wanna resaw giant timbers or make waffer thin micro-veneers, a new saw might be the ticket.

Last comment, if you have "I want a new toy"-itis, then screw the upgrades and start shopping!

Jim

p.s. if you upgrade to a new saw, don't forget your friends and sell your old saw dirt cheap :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Michael,
If you need to upgrade size-wise and power-wise, keep the Ridgid AND buy a larger saw. IMO having one setup with a small blade and one for resawing has many advantages, sorta like having 2 1/4hp general purpose plunge router and a 3 1/2hp for a router table. :-D

WGD enabler,
Roger

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
What Sapwood said!

Pretty sure either Grizzly or Rikon have what you need at a price you can afford.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I did the upgrades on my 14" Delta, and it made a world of difference. Unfortunately, it cost me about $900. All said and done, I would not do it again. My advice is to spend no more than 1/2 the price of the machine itself. If you are going to spend more than that, I would suggest it is time to consider upgrading to another machine. I still have the Delta (will never get my money back), but I have a Minimax now and there is no comparison.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I bought a MM16 around 18 months ago. It's a great BS. I like the guides, I love how easy it is to replace blades, track and set guides. It's got a very solid frame. Resawing is just too easy. I use my BS for a lot of tasks I used to do on the TS. I do all of my rough ripping on the BS too. Very safe compared to a TS. The Euro style guides are simply wonderful to use. A larger BS is a joy to use (right, Travis?). :-D

That Felder must be a pretty good saw if Bernard is recommending it! I didn't have a chance to put my hands on a Felder and I insist on looking over a machine before I buy it.

For me it came down to either Laguna or MM and the MM won out.

If you are going to upgrade the Ridgid I would think a new spring and riser kit would do it unless the stock guides don't cut it for you. I personally think quick tension is a gimmick. If your bandsaw is set up properly all you need to do is crank the tension knob a few turns and you're in business. Crank the other way a few turns when finished.

If you want resaw capacity then I'd probably just buy another machine.

I don't have personal experience with the Griz but would certainly consider them. They seem to have a strong following on Bandsaws and you could likely get a Griz for significantly less than a European machine.

Chuck

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
I upgraded my Ridgid about 6 years ago, 6" riser, new bearing guides and I'm very pleased with it. The best upgrade I made was taking Woodguy's advise and use bimetal blade for resawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS