Yet Another Newbie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
Hi. I am just getting started in woodworking and after a few projects to learn the ropes am getting ready to start on my first child's crib, wardrobe and changing table. I live south of Raleigh and work at NCSU in genomic research. I figured I would get rid of that annoying banner at the top of the page and post a hello to everyone.

- Steve

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Steve,
Welcome to the forum. You found a good one with lots of great people and tons of experience to draw from. Your part in all of this is to ask the questions you have!
Congrats on the first child also!
One word of caution on building a crib, there are legal requirements for spacing the rungs for safety so you want to be sure about that before starting, especially if you are not using a good-quality plan. I wish I knew that spacing but don't. Read on as I suspect someone else around here does or can point you to where to get that spec.

Have fun but be safe first!

MikeH

New User
Mike
Welcome to NCWW Steve. We're glad to have you and look forward to seeing progress pics on the crib and congrats on your first child.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Welcome to the site Steve. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience to be found here. And best of all it comes from some great folks. I'm relatively new here, but have already learned a lot and met some very nice people.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Steve, congrats on your impending Fatherhood, it's a great excuse to make thing in the shop. My wife works in the Animal Science Dept at State doing genomic research, maybe y'all have crossed paths.
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing some pics of your project for your child...do you know what he/she will be???

Dave:)

Rocker

New User
John
Welcome Steve,
I'll look forward to hearing from you and learning of your progress on your baby projects. I live in Fuquay, probably near you. Let me know if I can be helpful.
John

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the website, Steve -- we're happy to have you join us. You'll find lots of good people willing to share, so don't be bashful to ask -- we'll look forward to photos of your new work as it progresses.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Welcome, and a recommendation

Steve, welcome.

I was going to build a crib four years ago and found that getting the hardware and planning the work was not worth my time. I found a really nice older, heavy duty, well built, solid wood piece and refinished the set, which worked great for the two girls, and resold the set for what I paid for it. As soon as the youngest got old enough to move out of the crib and didn't need a changing table, my wife wanted those items out of the house to regain the space. I have enjoyed making the decision not to make those items and spend my time on ones that are more long-lasting in our home.

It won't be long before that young'in is moving into his or her own bed, one which they can take to their own future home and treasure for a long time.

Just my thoughts,
Guy

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks for the congratulations.

About the crib, I have a plan that follows all the safety requirements from rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10727 and the hardware kit so all I really have to deal with is the woodworking.

DaveO, we'll be having a little girl. I work in the Plant Pathology department but graduated from NCSU Genomic Science PhD program a few years ago and my wife just graduated from NCSU Vet school in 06 so one of us may have crossed paths with your wife.

- Steve

sediener

New User
Steve
Re: Welcome, and a recommendation

Steve, welcome.

I was going to build a crib four years ago and found that getting the hardware and planning the work was not worth my time. I found a really nice older, heavy duty, well built, solid wood piece and refinished the set, which worked great for the two girls, and resold the set for what I paid for it. As soon as the youngest got old enough to move out of the crib and didn't need a changing table, my wife wanted those items out of the house to regain the space. I have enjoyed making the decision not to make those items and spend my time on ones that are more long-lasting in our home.

It won't be long before that young'in is moving into his or her own bed, one which they can take to their own future home and treasure for a long time.

Just my thoughts,
Guy

I plan on making all of the furniture with the exception of the crib convertible from Baby stuff to another use. The changing table will be similar to this one which converts to a chest of drawers http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/Articles/Article.aspx?id=327&friend=1 and the wardrobe is something that should be usable as at least an entertainment center in the future if we decide not to use it once she gets older. Thanks for the idea though. I have just been really looking forward to making these for her and it gives me an excuse to buy a few more tools. ;-)

- Steve

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO, we'll be having a little girl. I work in the Plant Pathology department but graduated from NCSU Genomic Science PhD program a few years ago and my wife just graduated from NCSU Vet school in 06 so one of us may have crossed paths with your wife.

- Steve

Congratulations, I have one of those, they're really sweet :-D :-D I believe that you have worked in the same lab as my wife, she recognized your name. I am Audrey Taro's husband, if that rings a bell...small world :icon_thum

sediener

New User
Steve
Congratulations, I have one of those, they're really sweet :-D :-D I believe that you have worked in the same lab as my wife, she recognized your name. I am Audrey Taro's husband, if that rings a bell...small world :icon_thum

Wow.... thats insane, it really is a small world. Say hi to her for me. It's been a while since I've seen her. The Dean lab was a lot of fun back then.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS