Workbench WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Ouch! Take care of that back - you'll want to be able to actually use that bench some day!!! ;)

You've done a great job on your bench - it looks great (especially like that purpleheart) and I know it'll serve you well.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
OWWW!!! Hate to hear your back is out.

The bench looks great!! Your dovetails look VERY good! I hope to do mine as neatly as yours look. Love the purple heart contrast as well.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Awesome bench! Man, I'd just put it in my living room, nicer than my "real" furniture. Love that color contrast.

Any evidence you're avoiding certain projects out of fear it will damage the bench? :)

Bas.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Top notch work Chuck :icon_thum
Take a breather, rest your back, and quit embarrassing the rest of us ;-)

Roger

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Been away a couple of days and here you went and finished it!! BEAUTIFUL:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That first picture looks great with the "red" "white" and blue!!

Now comes that awkward time when its too pretty to use, but you put all that work into it so you could use it, and then as you test it out you find its better than you hoped, but its too pretty to mess up, and yet its so satisfying to use something custom made with your own hands, but its too pretty to use, and then OOPS, slipped with the chisel and now its gouged and now you can relax and really get with it!!.

It will happen but don't rush it. I have found mine was worth every drop of sweat, and its no where as fine as yours,

Great Job

Go

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Awesome Chuck! Good to see you back at it. Love the purpleheart accents. I think I will copy that from you like I copied your doing the top perimeter with purpleheart.

What are you storing in the drawers? Did the slides work out or did you have to use different ones?

(OK, so I jumped back to original thread).

I hoped to tie in the PH in the drawer frames with the vise work.

Thank you so much for helping me with the slides. They were excellent. More trouble than wooden slides to fit but man they are so smooth. :eusa_danc

I am going to put all of the hand tools in the drawers that I can fit. I hope to start adding some planes to the collection - maybe Santa is listening? :dontknow:

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
The workbench drawers are installed. HC DTs, drawers in red oak with hard maple faces. Outer frame purpleheart accent to match vise faces.

The drawers were resawed and represent attempted bookmatch. They actually look okay but the grain is fairly typical and don't showcase the effort involved. Wiped with Watco Danish oil - thanks to my son C.J. for a helping hand mounting and finishing the drawers.

I made a marking gauge in cocobolo face and bocote handle to mark baselines. It works pretty well. Thanks Mshel for the brass! Here is C.J. showing off the marking gauge.
IMG_1236.JPG

I managed to get decent DTs, thanks a bunch to the folks here. I have since learned that poplar/pine is more forgiving than RO for drawer stock.

I've added a few pics.

First, finished view of the drawer faces.
IMG_1234.JPG

Here's a shot of the top, with my new el-cheapo lamp, and the hand tools used to make the drawers.
IMG_1235.JPG

A pic showing the DTs. The photos look worse than actual...really (you buying this or what?).
IMG_1220.JPG

Chuck

J

jeff...

I made a marking gauge in cocobolo face and bocote handle to mark baselines. It works pretty well. Thanks Mshel for the brass! Here is C.J. showing off the marking gauge.
IMG_1236.JPG

Chuck

Now that's a Gloat not the guage, nor the bench - but quality time in the shop with the son :thumbs_up

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That finish really brings out the color!

The bench looks rock solid. The kind that won't even move when a tank drives up against it! I hope your son is into woodworking, because that bench will outlast you, him and the next three generations!

Outstanding work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors