Robert

New User
Robert
Surely someone close by has discovered a need and jumped on this one:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1419533808.html
Woodworkers Bench - $150 (Cary)

Date: 2009-10-13, 9:58AM EDT
Reply to: sale-rz6ep-1419236977@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Downsizing and must sell my custom built woodworker’s bench on casters. Worktop dimensions: (64”L x 25”W x 37”H) which includes the recessed shelf for your wood working tools.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3k83m53l55Q85P05Ra9ad0a30bd88a5ff1590.jpg
3m73o23lb5Tb5P65Rd9ad6a7347be40dd14c2.jpg
3n93pb3o65Q85Ra5S29ad7d09e920f8e418f6.jpg

PostingID: 1419236977

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
OK, this is weird. Someone seems to need to validate my post. This is not mine, but it appears to be the almost same one I was referring to (doesn't have the tray, but the value/utility of that is very debatable) at the same price:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/1420939258.html

4'x1.25' Shop Bench - $60 (NE Raleigh)

Date: 2009-10-14, 11:05AM EDT
Reply to: sale-k7mdv-1420939258@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Utility work bench in good shape. Manufacturer is White Gate. Bench has two wooden vise clamps. One on left face, second on right side. Has lower shelf for tools and a drawer for same or work materials.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
3k23p23ld5O75S65R29aed60b6d56ce771352.jpg
3md3o63l05O05Q35S79ae1d4ccb41c4a316dc.jpg

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
The thin legs and the lower shelf look suspicously like the HF one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93454

They used to carry one with the tool tray like the CL one that had a single drawer centered in the front and 2 vises. I had one for a while. It was wobbly. I think I paid $60.

I asked him about the top and I think he said it was poplar ply (3/4"?) with mdf subbase. The casters do lock, but I agree the legs and casters seem a little unsubstantial to me.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The first one looks like a top made from an early issue of Woodsmith that had a woodworking bench in it. I made two of them. The legs are not very sturdy looking, that is for sure. A 2 x 4 base is going to rack if you try to do any handplaning on it.

The second one that Andy posted looks like a store bought set up. Again, the base looks a bit "weak".

JMTCW.

CarvedTones

Andy
I inferred that the original poster thinks that the first one was a deal on a high end bench and I was just voicing my opinion that it is neither; similar ones are often found at less than half the price and they aren't sturdy enough to be what I consider a "real" bench. I don't think they are a bad deal at $60 or so if you don't expect too much from them.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I have one of the White Gate one that I bought from Craigs List for $45.00 I drilled holes in the legs and ran threaded rod from front to back to stabilize it. It works fairly well for what I have in it. But I would hate to think I paid more than that for it.

James

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The thin legs and the lower shelf look suspicously like the HF one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93454

They used to carry one with the tool tray like the CL one that had a single drawer centered in the front and 2 vises. I had one for a while. It was wobbly. I think I paid $60.

Andy,

Were the vise mechanisms any good? I've thought about replacing my shop-built pipe-clamp tail vice, but most of the vice mechanisms are a little pricey IMO (especially since my vice works pretty well).

TIA!
Chris

CarvedTones

Andy
Andy,

Were the vise mechanisms any good? I've thought about replacing my shop-built pipe-clamp tail vice, but most of the vice mechanisms are a little pricey IMO (especially since my vice works pretty well).

TIA!
Chris

They were fine clamps but only fair vises. They exert plenty of pressure and stay put, but the faces did not try very hard to stay parallel, if you know what I mean. Careful centering of glue ups is required, but other than that, they worked okay.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I inferred that the original poster thinks that the first one was a deal on a high end bench and I was just voicing my opinion that it is neither; similar ones are often found at less than half the price and they aren't sturdy enough to be what I consider a "real" bench. I don't think they are a bad deal at $60 or so if you don't expect too much from them.

He thinks $60 is a deal???? I agree with you, especially being poplar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS