Workbench gloat....finally...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Ok, I've been working on this thing off and on for almost 9 months now, and finally today I call it done. The last of the finish is on, it looks all shiny and clean, has all the hardware on, and is ready for it's first project since it was completed. I already did three projects on it before it was done, maybe that was why it took so long to complete?:-?:eusa_booh
Anyway, now that it looks all clean and new, it has to be broken in with a project. It can't look that new long, so while it does look nice, I'll show it off. It was made with mostly scraps for the base, there is walnut, oak and cherry in this thing, not the best wood for furniture so I didn't mind using it for a bench that will get beat on. My son gets the old bench that I used to use full time so he can learn woodworking. :icon_thum

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 260

Monty

New User
Monty
That is an AWESOME bench! Very nice work - I really like the storage beneath. I like that vise too... no plans for a face vise?

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have in mind a vise that has two screws that fit into the left end, but that will have to wait a while. Here is a picture of the actual shaker bench that inspired me to make mine.

Attachments

• 2006_1001Image0125.JPG
    2006_1001Image0125.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 185

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Just plain awesome!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap What kind of hardware did you use for your tail vise?

Go

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I had a tail vise screw kit that I got for another bench about 20 years ago, ended up using it instead of doing a wood screw like I wanted to do. I still want to do the wood screw on the other end face vise if and when I get to do that. That was also my very first time at that kind of dovetail, large and hand cut, they aren't perfect, but hey they don't look bad for a first time. :-o

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great looking bench! Are you able to add the sliding deadman when you add the leg vise? My next bench will definitely have one!

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
The deadman can be added later, all I have to add are the slide parts to the bottom and cut the groove on the underside of the top to install.

The finish...well, it is Minwax poly gloss for floors, there are 6 coats. It seems pretty hard, at least the other things that I have used that on wear well, so I'm hoping this does too. If it doesn't, well I have a sander....:lol: I know it will get scuffed up, I just hope it doesn't allow staining of the wood while it is being used.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
There is a book out by Scott Landis called "The Workbench Book" that has the bench and measurments in it for the one that I have pictures of. That bench is in the Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield MA. They wouldn't let me close enough to it to measure, but the book's author did measure it, and breaks it down exactly. Mine is a bit smaller, theirs is something like 12 feet long, I don't have room for that much but I'd sure like to have made mine exactly like theirs if I did have. I tried to use all the same kind of assembly methods they used, there are a few places that I changed because of the material used and limited tooling or skill, but for the most part it is 19th century construction. It is assembled with mortise and tennon joinery on the frame, dovetails on the drawers, hand made drawer slides, ship lap joints on the panels, etc. Where I couldn't do it was the vise screw, I never could find the right kind of tooling to make a large thread rod, and making my own didn't turn out well. I didn't use hand planes on all of it like Roy Underhill would do, but even with power tools I still learned a lot about how they worked to get such nice stuff.

BTW: My son says he wants to trade benches....he wants me to use the small one so he can spread out on the big one. I told him when I was done with this one, likely after the funeral, he could have it. Hopefully that will be a while, and while I'm not looking to "adopt" any more kids, I sure would allow someone to share with me in the use of it. :icon_thum

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Grreat looking bench! One suggestion you might want to try - cut a piece of 1/4' tempered masonite and place on the top. That protects the top and can be changed when messed up. As was said, it is too pretty to mess up.
Jim in Mayberry

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
That is a very nice bench!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap
You don't do woodworking very long before you realize a good workbench is your friend. You've got a great one.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
You know a cover to sit stuff on is a great idea, I think I've got a piece of hardboard in the shop that would do fine. I have found in just a few uses of the bench while making it that the weight of it and general girth makes it nearly unmovable, so I can push and tug with a plane and not expect to have to chase the bench across the floor. :lol: This thing is too heavy to move by myself, I put a floor jack under one end and a set of wheels under the other to move it across the floor if need be. It isn't going to be on a mobile base...

T

toolferone

It is a great bench! You should be very pleased!

Now as to "to pretty to use" term. Not that I have any pretty tools, but it would feel great to use one and I would not be afraid to. I think we should take the 2nd mallet Mike made for Barb and give it a whack on to Phil's bench and then get on with using them both :lol: !

M

McRabbet

A beautiful job, Phillip. It will last as long as the museum original! But you need to upload some good pictures to your Photo Gallery because your attachment picture can't be used again!

4yanks

New User
Willie
Very nice. I have always admired the bench you modeled it on as well. Nice reproduction.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
A beautiful job, Phillip. It will last as long as the museum original! But you need to upload some good pictures to your Photo Gallery because your attachment picture can't be used again!

I put a few pictures in my gallery last night, one that is the same as the thread has, and another couple that are of other shots. My son took one of me and the bench that was included too. I don't claim to be photogenic, and if you see that picture you'll understand why Dr. Honeydew is my pic on my avatar. I've got my own Sesame Street character....:lol::lol::lol:

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
9 months? It only took me a couple of hours to make mine...... aaa wait mabey thats because mine is an old solid core door that I sat onto a Black&Decker workmate.

All joking aside, that's a beautiful workbench!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Give yourself a big pat on the back. Much too nice to use and scratch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS