Woodworking terms and abbreviations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
We have a new feature on the site: a "glossary" of terms and abbreviations that relate to woodworking, as well as some other terms that show up commonly on forums like this one.

Any forum member can make corrections or additions to this list. I would only request that we PLEASE keep the list woodworking related as much as possible. I would like to see this become a reference of abbreviations as well woodworking-related jargon. For the sake of sanity, I think we should try to limit the list to true woodworking jargon and not common words. For example, there is no need to define "saw", but many people may not really know what a "story stick" is.

Also, keep the abbreviations limited to only those we tend to see here on this forum. There are about a zillion abbreviations that could be included, but I don't think we'll be seeing many instances of GMBO around here.... at least I hope not! :roll:

Anyway, without further ado... here is the NCWW Lexicon!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ah, the Lexicon. Great addition, that will be helpful for those strange acronyms. But GMBO, come-on sometimes you just have to :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'll put it in the floating menu.

But please notice that some of the abbriavation have been caught by the SEO filter and expanded. Thus Bandsaw = band saw:rolf:

Monty

New User
Monty
I'll put it in the floating menu.

But please notice that some of the abbriavation have been caught by the SEO filter and expanded. Thus Bandsaw = band saw:rolf:

Someone must have changed it. I had bandsaw listed as B.S. so the filter wouln't get it. I really hate that filter.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Someone must have changed it. I had bandsaw listed as B.S. so the filter wouln't get it. I really hate that filter.

Monty, unless you changed it back, it is listed as B.S., so it looks right. I think Steve was using that as an example....?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Ah Hah! I don't remember seeing a problem when I looked at the first time.... but then I hadn't had any coffe yet.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Great idea - let's see if we can talk the Staff Programmer™ into it! ;)
I'm working on it. The second navbar was not working on a lot pages. Just fixed it, so now I can more links.

But of course the webmaster and the admins can also add the links very easily. admincp->vbulletin Oprtions->Menu Control:lol:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
What is the procedure for adding or suggesting additions?

There are a few acronyms being used fairly frequently that may be unknown to new members like moi, e.g. Who/what is/are TWA, MWTCA

(I assume at least one has something to do with the Triangle or Triad and woodworkers)

Monty

New User
Monty
Alan - anyone can make additions to the list. Just click on the "Edit This Page" link at the bottom of the page. If you know of an acronym but are not sure what it means, just enter it on the list like this:

TWA - ?
MWTCA - ?​

Someone else will see the question marks and hopefully will enter the information there.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That list is becoming a heck of a good resource. Thanks to all who've added to it, and keep it up.
Dave:)

R

rickc

What is the procedure for adding or suggesting additions?

There are a few acronyms being used fairly frequently that may be unknown to new members like moi, e.g. Who/what is/are TWA, MWTCA

(I assume at least one has something to do with the Triangle or Triad and woodworkers)

Thanks for the "prompt"! Those acronums:
TWA - NOT the old airline, but Triangle Woodworkers Association. You can check out the website at www.ibiblio.org\twa. Plus there are a number of club members on this site.

The club normally the third Tuesday each month at the Klingspor Shop on Captial Blvd in Raleigh. Good bunch of woodworkers, a lot of good information available just by talking with the members. In addition to the monthly programs there are reasonably priced workshops offered the majority of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors