Wooden extension table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Ok, now I am installing the wooden extension table on the PM2000. I have nothing to comapre this to in my experience except the woodpecker supplied extension tables I added to my dewalt 746x.

The PM table has a dip in the middle of about 1/32", the Woodpecker had no visible dip. I asked Tom Ferone about this and he said it was normal.

Doesn't seem to me that it should be normal. I just spent a day and a half getting my main table and extension as flat and level as possible and then this?

Am I wrong?

Monty

New User
Monty
It's fine for most woodworking tasks - all you really need is support on that side for wider stock, so it doesn't sag down by its own weight. However, if you want to mount a router in that table, I would want it perfectly flat. You should count on adding a torsion box for support and flattening below the table you have, or replacing it altogether with a torsion box like I did.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Ditto for what Monty and Tom said. I know you would expect it to be better, but it is the way it goes. The most important part is the cast iron, and from what I have read you have that right.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
This whole with the wooden table really ticks me off.:growl5cj: :growl5cj: When you look at the construction of this table and the Delta one I just looked at, it appears that you would have to work at it, to have the dip in it.

Some manufacturing engineer must have specified that that each longitudinal support should not be straight, but instead have a a gentle concave curve that is 1/32 lower in the middle than the ends. They probably designed a specialty saw just for that purpose:yes4lo: :shocked7fl:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sorry Steve, but couldn't resist.

If you spill a cup of coffee on the extension, it will all naturally pool towards the 1/32nd dip for easier cleanup!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: Design intent!!!!:eusa_danc

Wayne

M

McRabbet

I hate to be the one to tell you that the right-side extension on my Grizzly G1023SLX tablesaw (made by Shop Fox) is so flat I cannot slip a sheet of paper anywhere under a 4 foot straightedge spanning the diagonals or the edges or the centerline. It's two years old and is laminate on 3/4" "Baltic Birch-like" plywood. I do not have a router mounted in it. I had to clean off a bunch of stuff (my shop must be the model for yours) and sweep off the sawdust to check it, but it is flat.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS