Woodcraft Display Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dan, here's what it looks like finished.

0017.JPG

View image in gallery

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Super work, Joe!!!

The maple and cherry were made for each other there.:icon_thum:icon_thum The mini raised panels look really good with this design.

Sure didn't take ya too long!

Wayne

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great Job Joe. Really nice work there.
I see you said it was a display case, but what is it to display?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Very nice work! Those two woods go together beautifully. Great job. What is it going to display?

Red

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto to John's question above. Divided top panel seems small - duck calls? Fishing lures perhaps? I must have missed a previous thread too. What is the Woodcraft reference - their plan?

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
Thanks for the update Joe! It looks fantastic - your wife will be thrilled. Maybe you should start a contest to see who can guess what it will hold.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Thanks folks. My wife is a sea shell collector and has a lot of shells. She's already filled these:

And needed more space for the small ones! Display case has 60 pockets. She can swap drawers around when she wants to display another bunch.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Joe: VERY NICE work! I noticed in your gallery that you've done other pieces using mixed woods. Have you done anything using cherry and walnut? I've got a project coming up and am considering it.

Thanks, Bill Clemmons

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bill, I have mixed cherry and walnut in a couple of boxes and a hall table years ago. Pre digital camera, no pix. I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. After a year or two, the cherry darkened and looked dull and out of place, especially on the table. However, I have mixed cocobola and purpleheart with both woods and like the effect. Especially on walnut. I have a walnut box here that's 25 years old and the cocobola accent is still as red as ever. On the other hand, I've seen wardrobes, dressers and even kitchen cabinets in curly/tiger maple and just had to look away. Just too much for my taste.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bill, I have mixed cherry and walnut in a couple of boxes and a hall table years ago. Pre digital camera, no pix. I wasn't too thrilled with the outcome. After a year or two, the cherry darkened and looked dull and out of place, especially on the table. However, I have mixed cocobola and purpleheart with both woods and like the effect. Especially on walnut. I have a walnut box here that's 25 years old and the cocobola accent is still as red as ever. On the other hand, I've seen wardrobes, dressers and even kitchen cabinets in curly/tiger maple and just had to look away. Just too much for my taste.

Thanks Joe. You answered one of my main concerns: what would it look like 10 years down the road when the cherry darkened. In FWW#211, on p. 38 Garrett Hack covered a number of possible combination's, but not cherry/walnut. My project is a dining room table, w/ the cherry being the top and the walnut the base. I kinda want the base to be subdued, and the top be the focal point. Don't know yet. I might just go with all cherry.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill Clemmons

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks folks. My wife is a sea shell collector and has a lot of shells. And needed more space for the small ones! Display case has 60 pockets. She can swap drawers around when she wants to display another bunch.

Very cool. The swappable drawers are brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS