Wood Lathe Wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluthart

New User
Brian
I'm looking for a gently used lathe, nothing fancy, but something I can start learning how to turn on. PM me with any ideas please. Thanks!

bluthart

New User
Brian
Thanks Dave - this is exactly why I have turned this task over to the mighty minds of NCWW. I know that a lot of folks here can help in decision making. I will check it out!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I bought the HF lathe and have really done good with it despite my in-experience. I can tell you how to get 20% off. PM me

J

jeff...

(Waves Hand) Wood Lathe you don't want. (Waves Hand) Wide Belt Sander you need.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'll throw in my take on the HF lathe, get it. You won't find a better lathe out there for the price. I love mine. Well, except for the fact that I don't get to spend enough time on it.

bluthart

New User
Brian
Hey Rod - the next few weeks are pretty busy but sometime in August should be good. Thanks for the reply!

jimwill48

James
Brian,
I'm also going to say the HF lathe, you saw one when you were over to the house. IMHO it's the best lathe value out there. Offer is still there if you want to try one out and get a little hands on. :icon_thum

James

bluthart

New User
Brian
Thanks James - I liked the lathe you have too. As soon as I get some time (maybe by fall) I would love to come back for a lesson. Thanks for the reply!

Rod

New User
Rod
Are you all refering to the HF lathe here?

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica]View more Central Machinery items[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Pivoting headstock for extra-large bowl turning capacity
  • Headstock rotates and locks in position at 45°, 90°, 135° and 180°
  • Swing over bed: 12''
  • Variable speeds: 600-2400 RPM
  • Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
  • CSA Listed
It' seems nice. Do they have an alternate stand (heavier one) for it?
Rod
[/FONT]

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Are you all refering to the HF lathe here?

[FONT=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica]View more Central Machinery items[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]12'' x 33-3/8'' WOOD LATHE WITH REVERSIBLE HEAD[/FONT]
clear.gif

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
  • Pivoting headstock for extra-large bowl turning capacity
  • Headstock rotates and locks in position at 45°, 90°, 135° and 180°
  • Swing over bed: 12''
  • Variable speeds: 600-2400 RPM
  • Turning distance between centers: 33-3/8"
  • CSA Listed
It' seems nice. Do they have an alternate stand (heavier one) for it?[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Rod[/FONT]

Yes, but no it comes with a cheap sheet metal stand. It wouldn't be too hard to make a heavy cabinet to place it on. I am using it as it comes, with a little additional weight. Turning to it's full capacity is a little exciting until you get it round, but it has handled the largest blanks that I have put on it.

Dave:)

J

jeff...

it has handled the largest blanks that I have put on it.
Dave:)

May I be the first to see what the head stock bearing are really made of? I got a nice chuck of iron wood just itching for a HF lathe, is yours still under warranty :gar-La;

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
May I be the first to see what the head stock bearing are really made of? I got a nice chuck of iron wood just itching for a HF lathe, is yours still under warranty :gar-La;

I know the Delta will give that iron wood a spin for it money :rotflm::rotflm::rotflm: Now my tools may need a tune up :gar-La;

photog

New User
Dan
The HF lathe is a great starter lathe for the same price as what a few quality gouges would cost you. It work fine, but make no mistake about any Central Machinery tool having the fit, finish, massiveness and precision of the big name brand power tools. It certainly isn’t a Nova or a OneWay, but it sure is a small investment to get a functional tool and wet your feet.

The stock stand has much to be desired, so this is what I did to mine. Check out my albums in the member's gallery if you want details on the build.

Here's the orginal equipment
OriginalLathe.jpg

OpenDoors.jpg

LatheStand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS