Wood guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

Guess what I had waiting for me when I showed up at the log yard today? I'll give you a hint it's a log "20 diameter and bone white. :-D

J

jeff...

Roger wins :icon_thum Good ole American Holly, it's quickly becoming my favorite wood.

J

jeff...

Actually - it was the last log I cut today - I slabbed it @ 5/4 for pen blanks. I ended up with some nice wide natural edge slabs, I even spotted a little burl and some curl in a few of the boards. Ted told me there is more Holly coming. The next Holly, i promise will become bowl blanks. I was so excited to just get it on my mill that I wasn't thinking ahead, sorry Nick.

I already have the slabs leaning up against the wall in my shop. I'll be cranking out some pen blanks, as soon as I get some time. I keep thinking about inlay strips I think holly would make for some interesting inlay.

Thanks

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:lol: OH YAH! Holly would make some excellent inlay strips. What width would you cut them at? If you do find some holly burl blanks, please put me down to buy a couple from you....!!!!

...good chatting with you today!
Cheers,
Chris

dozer

Mike
Jeff, Add me to the list for some of those blanks. And definitely add me for some of the burl.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger - do you turn pens?

Nope, I'm a square guy. At least I try to be :lol:
Besides, I've already collected my prize. Reading about everyone salivating over holly blanks is a great reward :cool: Followed of course by pixs of completed turnings.

Roger

J

jeff...

I hacked up a small 3 foot section of slab and started nuking a batch of about 40 Holly pen blanks, I'm covered in WHITE sawdust :lol:. Holly cuts like no other wood I've messed with (smooth). I'll bring them with me next Sunday to NC Lumber run #4 http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6831
Those who want some can have them for free, all I ask is to be kind and share with your fellow NCWoodworker members.

Thanks

J

jeff...

I for those of you who have not seen a piece of American holly, I wanted to show a contrast with a well known piece of wood. The piece on top is "White" Oak, the bottom is a piece of American holly. So I guess my question is why is it called white oak again? :eusa_thin I'm thinking for common native species, Black Walnut and American holly would be an interesting contrast.

I know simple minds are easily amused (mine).

Attachments

• Feb18_01.jpg
    Feb18_01.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS