WIP sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I wanted a disk sander, my bank said no ( Okusan Ginkou )*.
So i decided to just make one, I wanted a large one but thinking about my space limitations I am making it small 10".
I have some arbors, with good ball bearings and a few motors and some 3/4 ply so heres what I got done so far.

*Okusan = wife Ginkou = bank

cut some 1/2 mdf to a 10" circle then made 2 donuts 4" across one glued to the back of the mdf the other to moun on the arbor, then I use 4 screws to hold then togather

disc_sander3.jpg

then a box to hold everything 3/4 ply glued and Bolted togather
and an old 3/4 hp motor I got off an old washing machine:lol::lol::lol:
It spins real good

disc_sander2.jpg

of course because of my space limitations I hane to mount more then one tool on each mobile stand:-(
I still have to make the table for the front, I want to be able to adjust the angles on it.

disc_sander1.jpg

Thats all forr now more to come later:lol::lol::lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That will do the trick. I look forward to seeing how you devise the table and make it adjustable. Just don't think of using the disk sander and drill press at the same time.....:laughing6 :laughing6

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
Earl, Well done I like seeing the ideas you come up with. Don't forget to post some pics of the table you make for it and give is a little review.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Re: WIP sander Update

Yesterday I said it was 10", I dont know what I was thinking it's 12":BangHead:
So today I worked on the table cut it 21' long bevled (sp) the front edge at 45 deg so I can adjust the angle without it hitting, cut the hinges in so that the highest spot on the hinges is just below the table top got it all togather, and mounted the whole assy. with 2 big bolts and wing nuts, so I can pop it off to change sandpaper,
Spun it up and the face was just a wee bit off true, a good sharp chisel took care of that while it was spinning tomorrow I'll put some 220 sandpaper on a stick and finish the face.
started to true up the edge but dust flew everywhere so i took off the high spots and stopped, might finish it tomorrow.
Still have to put shellac on the face and table and paint the rest.
All made out of junk stuff out of pocket $ "0" :rolf:

disc_sander_4.jpg

disc_sander_5.jpg

disc_sander_6.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like the way you did the table Earl :eusa_clap You might consider inlaying a strip of hardwood, and then routing out a miter gauge slot in it. I find that handy to fine tune the fit of 90° cuts.
Dave:)

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Had to go to goldsboro tonight, so I stopped by big blue to see if they had any sanding disk's, 5" and 6" was all they had:-x

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With the table tilted up, as in last photo, it would be very easy to get something jambed in between table and disk. Klingspor's in Raleigh specializes in sandpaper, incluging disks.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have a washer and dryer that are to be parted out at my store, or donated to a local non-profit for use as parts. Any one want the motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors