WIP - canvasback drake carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Since my shop isn't heated very well I typically try to start a project or two in the fall that I can bring into the house and finish during the winter. I haven't done much carving, just a couple shorebirds and duck smoothies, so I thought I'd attempt a more detailed project this year. I still have some shaping to do and then define the feather groups, paint and set the eyes, and sand everything to prepare for burning. I've never done the feather detailing before so I'm planning on practicing with the burner quite a bit. I expect this to take me some time (and a lot of patience :confused_) but I'll try to post updates as I move along.

Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Chris

canvasback_wip_4.JPG

View image in gallery

Sully

New User
jay
Looking good! Keep going.

One of the largest decoy carving shows on the east coast is coming up on the 2nd weekend of February, right here in little Washington. You should come enter your decoy! :thumbs_up

stave

New User
stave
It is looking great already!
Could you explain what tools you are using to make the feathers and what types of burrs or stones you are using if any? I am interested in carving feathers but have no real clue how to go about it.
Looking forward to seeing the progress on the drake...I am sure it is going to be outstanding.

Stave

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Thanks for the encouraging comments! I hope to finish the eyes and shaping the body in the next week or so and then start burning the feathers.

Stave, I don't have much in the way of power carving equipment so I'm using mostly knives, carving gouges and chisels for the feathers. I did buy a set of diamond tip burrs ($10 at WC) for my dremel and used the long narrow cone shape to lift the feathers. I bought a second-hand Detail Master with three pens on Ebay to burn in the details, though I'm not sure how I'll get under the lifted feathers. I've experimented with the stones in my dremel set for the fine feathers on the head and I think I can get one or more of those to work. I have a few books with differing techniques that I've been studying so I'll see which works best for me and my bifocals! :cool:

Chris

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Dan - I've been working on this off and on for a couple of months but I'm guessing I have about 10 - 12 hours in it. I had hoped to be able to do more over the holidays but, alas, my family had other ideas about how I should spend my time. :eusa_booh

I'm planning to get back to it this weekend and get some more pictures posted as I move it along.

Chris

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Excellent work, Chris! :notworthy:

Even before the finish, it's easy to see that is a beauty.

Please keep the updates coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS