Windsor Finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
After three months and several starts and stops and losing my religion I finally finished this chair. I broke the arm once and drilled a hole wrong twice but its over. This was my second one. Now LOML wants more.
100_0217.jpg

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Larry,

Your chair is beautiful. I know how hard a Windsor is to build. I took a class w/Mike Dunbar up in New Hampshire and over a full week we built an armed Windsor. It was a humbling experience but well worth it.

I subsequently built 8 more to make a complete dining room set for ourselves. I used a five step finishing process.
  • Sand, stain and rub down with 3M pad
  • 1st coat Barn Red Milk paint (Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co., Groton, MA) and then scuffed up w/3M pads...pick areas for wear and scuff till you see stain,
  • 1 coat crackle medium (I used Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co., Crackle medium), only brush it on areas where you want crackle,
  • 2nd coat of Black Milk paint and scuff again with the 3M pad,
  • After the paint thoroughly dried I put a coat of Watco clear and followed with buffed paste wax after the Watco dried.

DavidF

New User
David
That's a fine looking chair and a completed project you can be proud of:eusa_clap Any completed project is a good one:lol: :lol: As for the others?? Just say no.......

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful chair, and your finish (Milk Paint?) makes it look like it is 100 years old already :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
As someone's sig. line says "Antiques made while you wait" :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Yes it is milk paint with a Minwax Antique Oil finish. I haven't waxed it yet as I like to make sure the finish is compleatly cured. I usualy wait 2 or 3 weeks. This was one of those projects that everything seemed to go wrong on and I was too far along to scrap it and start over. Oh well I quess thats what keeps woodworking interesting.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Great looking chair, Larry. I don't care what kind they are, chairs are tough!!!

By the way, do you know of a guy about 65 from Ahoskie or Hertford named Jimmy Sullivan? He was a kicker(punter) on the NCSU football team. He was in the room next to mine our freshman year.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Jerry, I looked in the area phone book and the closest I could find was a James Sullivan in Elizabeth City about 50 miles from here.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Congradulations Larry!! Glad you stuck it out and finished the chair. Not many worthy things in this world come easy. That chair is worthy:icon_thum .
Had you taken a class with someone? It is a little tougher without the insight of the experienced.

The next 6 or 8 will be a little easier on your religion:rolf: . You will remember what not to do. Good luck with them---------keep marching on.

Jerry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, Larry, it looks like the trip was worth it. The end result looks beautiful. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Jerry, no class was available here in the sticks. I just did a lot of reading and cussing. Actually I gave up on my first attempt and trashed it. The second was a little easier and I don't know what happened on this one. I've started gathering the materials for the next one. Maybe it'll be easier still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS