Why...

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
to commemorate National Woodworking month I would like written, photo or video answers to one or all of the following;

What are you working on?
What have you most recently completed?
Post a picture or video of your shop.
Why did you get into woodworking?
Who have you helped recently that REALLY benefited from your woodworking knowledge or experience?

PLEASE NOTE:: These answers, photos, videos etc. may be posted on the forum and or the .com site and will be posted at the discretion of our team. They may be remove or deleted at any time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
tempImage8JulaI.jpg

tempImageqxrb6r.jpg

C682F557-B3CD-4B19-925F-C8BBE85BF3B1_1_201_a.jpeg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
My modest contribution. I'm not in the same league as most of you folks. I make mostly square things.

This was my most recent project, a stand for my miter saw.

1617717085209.png

1617717212189.png

It's made pretty much entirely of salvaged parts and wood. The top is a sheet of plywood with leftover oak flooring laminated on top of that. You can see that in the bottom picture. The only new thing I bought was the mobile base kit.

It's one of the first cabinets I made without pocket screws. I bought a Domino last year and this was an opportunity to practice with it.

It's not really done yet. It will have folding extension wings, but I'm still working out how I want to do that.

My next project will be a workbench/outfeed table.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My modest contribution. I'm not in the same league as most of you folks. I make mostly square things.

This was my most recent project, a stand for my miter saw.

View attachment 200999

View attachment 201000

It's made pretty much entirely of salvaged parts and wood. The top is a sheet of plywood with leftover oak flooring laminated on top of that. You can see that in the bottom picture. The only new thing I bought was the mobile base kit.

It's one of the first cabinets I made without pocket screws. I bought a Domino last year and this was an opportunity to practice with it.

It's not really done yet. It will have folding extension wings, but I'm still working out how I want to do that.

My next project will be a workbench/outfeed table.
Thank you Martin!
That is fantastic! Shop furniture is near and dear to my heart because I always feel guilty since there is something else that ALWAYS seems more important!

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I am currently working on a cherry corner cupboard modeled after one at MESDA.
My last project was a walnut Maloof styled rocker, posted 1/20/21
I'm too embarrassed to post a picture of my basement shop
I got into woodworking (35-40 years ago) because I was too poor to buy furniture. However, the jokes on me. If I totaled the cost of all my tools, lumber, supplies, etc., I could probably bought furniture from the Biltmore house cheaper!
My sister most recently benefited from my woodworking experience as I was able to complete a cherry armorie to match furniture I made for her as a wedding present 30 years ago.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am currently working on a cherry corner cupboard modeled after one at MESDA.
My last project was a walnut Maloof styled rocker, posted 1/20/21
I'm too embarrassed to post a picture of my basement shop
I got into woodworking (35-40 years ago) because I was too poor to buy furniture. However, the jokes on me. If I totaled the cost of all my tools, lumber, supplies, etc., I could probably bought furniture from the Biltmore house cheaper!
My sister most recently benefited from my woodworking experience as I was able to complete a cherry armorie to match furniture I made for her as a wedding present 30 years ago.
Rob can't wait to see the corner cupboard - do you have plans or are you making it "in the style of..." can yo share a picture of the MESDA one?

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here's a table I finished last month. It is intended to go into the laundry area of my son's new (to him) house. I think I've posted this somewhere here before. The top and bottom shelf are laminated on 11-ply plywood.

View attachment 201008
COOL, will it have the casters in his new home or were they for something else?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Next up is a ....What?
Was that on purpose to keep us hanging?! LOL
Sorry bout that, Hank. My editor went berserk when I tried to add text to my 1st post,.....

We are in the process of drawing up a plan for a media console for our own home. LOML cannot find a commercial option that will #1 fit the style she is looking for, #2 anything beyond veneer over particle board construction, #4 decent price point and #5 will accommodate our electronics(shelf space/size.

Found that building it from scratch is the best solution!!

Last edited:

Bill J

Bill
User
I just finished a toy chest for my first grandchild. It's walnut with "blocks" from maple, bloodwood and yellow heart. I've also been making a lot of cutting boards and playing with various optical illusions. I'm working on 3 tables for various family members (1 for me) right now.
I attached a shop picture. I was able to set up my shop in the basement after I retired. Being in conditioned space is really nice! Fortunately, it wasn't worth moving all my 20+ year old equipment so almost all the large items are less than a year old.

Attachments

• 2021-01-19 08.53.38.jpg
    2021-01-19 08.53.38.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 2021-03-23 09.39.06.jpg
    2021-03-23 09.39.06.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 152
  • 2018-11-27 08.55.03.jpg
    2018-11-27 08.55.03.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 155
  • 2020-09-06 13.44.15.jpg
    2020-09-06 13.44.15.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry bout that, Hank. My editor went berserk when I tried to add text to my 1st post,.....

We are in the process of drawing up a plan for a media console for our own home. LOML cannot find a commercial option that will #1 fit the style she is looking for, #2 anything beyond gendered particle board construction, #4 decent price point and #5 will accommodate our electronics(shelf space/size.

Found that building it from scratch is the best solution!!
I planned to do that, but I was told last week that my lead-time of 13 years is too long and particle-board is looking better and better every day! :mad::cool::D

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just finished a toy chest for my first grandchild. It's walnut with "blocks" from maple, bloodwood and yellow heart. I've also been making a lot of cutting boards and playing with various optical illusions. I'm working on 3 tables for various family members (1 for me) right now.
I attached a shop picture. I was able to set up my shop in the basement after I retired. Being in conditioned space is really nice! Fortunately, it wasn't worth moving all my 20+ year old equipment so almost all the large items are less than a year old.
COOL cutting board and that toy chest is out of this world!
I am nick-naming you "Lucky Bill" because I am having shop envy right now!!!

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
Hank,
I have a measured drawing of the original corner cupboard from MESDA done by Carlyle Lynch about 35+ years ago that I got thru Garrett Wade about the same time. The original is painted pine. I say "modeled after" because I am changing a few things with the original to meet my preferences, likes, etc. Here is the original, which is available for viewing on the MESDA website.
ACC_2989_a-jpg636935026050000000.jpg

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
WOW, just WOW!
I cant wait to see your version!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS