Why I love NCWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey all,

I moved down to NC in Oct., 2005 and became a full time stay at home Dad (now that both girls are in school I'm a part time stay at home/ part time looking for side work) that got out of the house rarely. Back in NJ, I left about a dozen good friends and I missed their comeraderie when I got here. This site has allowed me to meet some great people (sorry too many to name), and get out from time to time, I even get some people to teach me the subtleties of the South such as putting molasses on biscuits:gar-La;. I have gotten some real good deals through our posts, and hope that I've helped a few people out also. I look forward to meeting more of y'all in the future.

Nothing in life is perfect, and neither is this site, but much like living with my siblings , I've learned to take the few bad things in stride to let myself enjoy the whole picture.

I'd like to thank Steve Coles, in particular, and the whole team that keeps this site up and running for the great job that they have done.

Everybody should feel free to take this thread and add any comments about why they love NCWW.

This site Rocks !

Jimmy:mrgreen:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Nothing and no one in life is perfect
All ya'll here understand that, and don't flame people (except, maybe in fun, and usually flame yourself:gar-La;), which is another thing that makes this site great!

Although, as it applies to me, I'm reminded of the quote from, I believe it was Groucho, that says "I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member":rotflm:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
It's funny - I just had a long conversation with my dad and he was encouraging me about hobbies because he doesn't have one that takes much of his time (tropical fish and collecting things doesn't fill his days) and I talked about sailing and woodworking and mentioned that I get a lot of info on the oddball things I like to make on the Internet. The I got the fatherly speech I give my kids about not letting the Internet be your only social outlet and I told him both of my local forums (sailing and woodworking) actually have a lot of face to face activities and that you meet people who help you with stuff (and loan you radios that I will get back to you someday soon, Jimmy :) ) and do real things not just have a virtual chat. He told me that this is more important than work right now (I wonder if he will write a note to my boss :gar-Bi) because in the next 10 or 15 years (I am about to turn 50) I need to find an interest that fills up the days and other people that are interested in it or I won't enjoy retirement as much.

I feel for him. He does travel and still consults sometimes and his wife (not my mom; they divorced when I was 18 ) has a large family nearby, so he usually isn't down about it; there has just been nothing going on for a couple of weeks and he is bored. The drought and water restrictions have curtailed his gardening. I need to go visit (near Atlanta) soon...

Anyway, I never thought of this site as being that important, but he gave me an interesting perspective...

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I really like this site because I get a discount at a store I've never been to. :roll: :rotflm:

Nah, just kidding. You all have been like family to me through good times and bad. It's funny, a lot of my friends aren't on any internet forums at all and think nothing of it, but once in a while, I'll pull someone aside and show them pictures of some of you all's work and then they kind've warm up to the idea once they understand how different this is and how great it is. I still have yet to meet any of you in person, but I'm supposed to drop by skeeter's house soon, if I can get a day off. :BangHead:

You guys ROCK!

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
...have a lot of face to face activities and that you meet people who help you with stuff
That's what makes NCWW unique. Woodworking forums are a dime-a-dozen. But being able to discuss local affairs & deals, meeting people for lunch, shop crawls, lumber runs - that's the special part. And perhaps that also contributes to people being friendly. It's one thing to be rude anonymously on the web. But if you meet people in person, well, that's different.

BTW Jimmy, I'm sure your siblings have had to learn to live with you too :)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nothing in life is perfect, and neither is this site, but much like living with my siblings , I've learned to take the few bad things in stride
Something I learned a long time ago about family.....
You can pick ya 'buds...... but ya can't pick ya bloods. You're stuck with 'em! Make the best of both & if you're lucky you'll have some bloods that'll be 'buds too!:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS