Which Air Compressor Quieter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Depends, what do you want to do with it?
Oil compressors are usually quiter than oil-less.

Now do you want something that is mobile, able to carry, or sits in one place?

I have 2 compressors. 1 60gallon for the heavy stuff and 1 6gallon pancake compressor for small air guns and tires.

Check out craigslist for oil compressors. I got my 60gallon for $350ish I think from HomeDepot (they accepted a 20% off HarborFreight coupon) but for $200 range best bet is a good used one.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
One thing to keep in mind is they are all equally quiet when not running. It's best if it can pressurize faster than you use pressure and has a settable low limit (or reasonable one if not settable). For example, if it could pressurize to 125, it would be nice if you didn't have it come on to re-pressurize until 100 or whatever. I am basing my recommendation partially on knowing one of your primary uses - forced air through the gun drill to blow chips out. That requires far less pressure and airflow than I was originally using. Anyway, one that is slightly louder but builds pressure quickly is going to run shorter durations than one that is quieter but gets up to pressure slowly.

simdave

New User
Dave
Don't know which compressor is quieter. I had a craftsman for 30 years and while it was loud, any tool that works for 30 years is a great tool. It is still working in my son's garage. I replaced it with an Ingersoll Rand garage mate which is quieter, and comes to pressure faster. I love the garage mate but every time I'm at my son's place I find myself going to his garage just to visit my old craftsman.

RayH

New User
Ray
If your volume needs are not too great, the Makita MAC700 is super quiet. :icon_thum

It is the only one I have found quiet enough to keep in the shop with me.

JMTCW

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with Marlin, based upon my experience the noise from a piston compressor is easier to handle than an oil free model. :wsmile:

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
I just went through the same shopping process, and ended up replacing my PC - 6gal oil-less w/ the Senco PC1131 (oil splash). I've only used it a couple times, but the Senco is considerably quieter than the PC.

There is a very good comparison article in the latest issue of Wood Magazine on "portable" compressors. Decibel level was one of the compared stats.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Oil bath is quieter than oil-less. Cast iron is MUCH quieter than aluminum. Piston is quieter than rotary.

Don't know if you can get one in your price range though. Mine is a Campbell-Hausfeld Extreme Duty rated one that is quiet and reliable. It has long outlived its 3 year warranty. Available with horizontal or vertical storage tank, and, altho "portable", at 350 lbs I don't move it far. It cost about double your quoted price range, but may be something you could find on craigs list, etc.

Go

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I just went through the same shopping process, and ended up replacing my PC - 6gal oil-less w/ the Senco PC1131 (oil splash). I've only used it a couple times, but the Senco is considerably quieter than the PC.

There is a very good comparison article in the latest issue of Wood Magazine on "portable" compressors. Decibel level was one of the compared stats.
I have the same compressor. I think it's a good trade-off between capacity, performance, noise, portability & price. For just a nail gun, pretty much any small compressor will do. The Senco PC1010 is fairly quiet & light. I wanted a little more oomph so I could use it for blowing out dust from projects, tools around the shop etc., which is why I went with the PC1131. The Makita mentioned in this thread was my second choice.

Compressors are not unlike routers. The big 3HP router is good for mounting in a table, but not for trimming laminate. The small plunge router won't do well hogging out bowls. So buy more than one :)

ehpoole

Ethan
Compressors are not unlike routers. The big 3HP router is good for mounting in a table, but not for trimming laminate. The small plunge router won't do well hogging out bowls. So buy more than one :)

Oh great.... next you're going to tell me I need 6 compressors too??? :rotflm:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
They are all too loud for me. I built a 6' X 6' insulated (but not heated) addition on the end of my shop specifically for my 5hp 18 cfm 80 gal IR compressor. I can still hear it from the shop, but it doesn't drown out the radio anymore.

I have a Junn-Air pancake style compressor that makes almost no noise, it's actually about the same noise level as a home refrigerator. It's only about 4 cfm, but great for air nailers and such when trying to keep the environment as quiet as possible. Junn-Air compressors are oil bath type, but small and very quiet. They are frequently used in the printing industry.

Charley

Cato

New User
Bob
I too find most of them noisy. I had an old craftsman that was LOUD. I went with a DeWalt 55146
as it is a 4.6 gal 200psi that cuts back in at 150-160 psi. It is an oilless belt drive so much quieter than a direct drive. Really to me it is no louder than my dust collector and it is on far less as it charges up in seems like less than a minute.

So an inbetween solution for me between direct and oilless. It has been great and the foam filled wheels don't go flat.

It will cycle a bit more when running a framing nailer, but in the workshop using smaller nailers it rarely cycles so I have to remember to turn it off. With that 160 PSI cut in I can still toenail 3.5in nails without stopping while it is cycling. Downside it is about $350.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If quiet is the most important thing, you should really take the time to investigate the Junn-Air compressors. They are exceptionally quiet when compared with the choices that have been given so far.
They aren't the cheapest, but they are the quietest. Again, mine makes about as much noise as a refrigerator or drinking fountain.

http://www.jun-air.com/

Charley

richlife

New User
Rich
I have no idea what you want compressed air for, Mike, but I wanted a super quiet one solely for air blowing dust and chips off carvings. A brief pulse only. Russ Denz suggested I consider a compressed air or CO2 tank (in this case, a JacPac) for my purpose. No noise at all except the brief air hiss. It has really worked well for me and my dust mask stays in place.

Be aware that there is a "recharge" lag when this is used. It takes about 10 - 15 seconds for the pressure to equalize for another blow -- not a concern as I normally need on PUFF.

Notice that this isn't suitable for blowing off a work bench for example because continuous release will quickly exhaust the tank, but it does work really well for a brad driver and will supposedly do about 300 - 500 bursts per 12 oz tank. (I'm converting mine to work with a 5 lb. tank that I already own.)

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS