Where to buy marine grade plywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I'm on a roll with questions.....

Got another project coming up to make some outside cabinets that will have to withstand the weather. Current thinking is to make them out of marine grade plywood. Anybody have any other ideas?

They are going to be painted so the wood species isn't a big deal. These are going to be 'high end' cabinets for an outdoor pool area. Need to still look good 5 years from now. Probably solid surface or even marble tops.

Need about 6 sheets of 3/4"

Anybody have any experience with the suppliers listed in the supplier area as far as marine plywood goes?

What would you recommend for the solid lumber parts? I'd like to say price is no object but Teak is out (pricewise).

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
DaveD said:
I'm on a roll with questions.....

Got another project coming up to make some outside cabinets that will have to withstand the weather. Current thinking is to make them out of marine grade plywood. Anybody have any other ideas? How about MDO Ply? IIRC this is the material they use for some highway road signs. Since your cabinets are going to be painted the MDO ply will give you a nice smooth surface for your paint.

They are going to be painted so the wood species isn't a big deal. These are going to be 'high end' cabinets for an outdoor pool area. Need to still look good 5 years from now. Probably solid surface or even marble tops.

Need about 6 sheets of 3/4" I believe Raleigh Hardwood either stocks MDO or can order it for you. I want to say I was quoted about $75 a sheet for 3/4" last time I asked about buying some.

Anybody have any experience with the suppliers listed in the supplier area as far as marine plywood goes?

What would you recommend for the solid lumber parts? I'd like to say price is no object but Teak is out (pricewise). How about Cypress?

There is a link for NC Wood Suppliers in Site Navigation box to the left of your screen but that link is not working for me this morning.

D L

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Try these guys:

http://www.serindsup.com/index.cfm

They are in Charleston (may be a little far), but I know they carry marine grade plywood. They sell a lot of it to the boating industry.

Let me know if you have problems getting up with them and I can try to help.

-matt

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
anchor hardwoods in wilmington should have marine grade ply. they also host the wilmington woodturners club meetings, at least they used to.

phillip

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
BCX plywood will give a smooth exterior surface and will last, as will T11 or RB&B siding (I had it on the outside of my house for 20 + yrs in FL and it went through 7 hurricanes okay) if the design would fit your needs. The T11 or RB&B would only be 19/32 thick, tho, and probably wouldn't meet "high end" criteria. I used BCX on boats and it held up well as long as it was sealed good (especially the edges). If you are using metal fasteners, I would suggest brass or stainless, regardless of what wood you use. The marine-grade will be easier to work with, tho (more plys) but will cost twice as much. Finding a paint that will last 5 years will be the problem!!:lol:

ChrisC

New User
Christopher Cain
DaveD,

If it will help you, Marine grade ply has the exact same glue/adhesive as regular exterior plywood.

The only difference, is that Marine Ply has no voids/patches in the veeners.

Not knowing the particulars of your project, I would suggest AC FIR ply, and a good exterior paint.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Retail- Capital City Lumber, over by the fairgrounds. Wholesale- Mc Ewin (spelling?) in east Garner. MDO probably be a better choice. This what the construction zone signs are made of. It is a impregenated paper on an exterior grade core. Marine ply is typically fir and has a grain that will telegraph through paint- it looks bad in a couple of years. There are now some exterior grade MDF's available. Do a Google search for MDF- Exterior grade. You might try calling Diamond Hill Plywood. All edges will need to be edgeband, probably with cypress for weather resistance. Also Home Depot has a toilet partition division that sells phenolic toilet partitions, that would be weather resistant.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I made a trip to the Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonwille to buy some Mahogany and other lumber ($400 worth) and saw that they had 3/4 marine plywood. I'm pretty sure they had 1/2" too. I think the 3/4 was about $75 a sheet ( can't remember, my mind was on other things)

I'll probably pick some up when I go back for my mahogany plywood in a couple of weeks.

BTW, that was the first time I went there and they are super people to deal with. Very nice warehouse that you can browse through and pick what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS