Where can I find - Elm wood, Elm Trees for planting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
So I have had a thing about Elm trees stuck in my brain for almost two years. I cant stop thinking about them.... most because I grew up on a tree lined street with these huge, magnificent Elm trees in Detroit. I dont know if they were American Elm or Dutch Elm or some other type. Just that they were awesome to me! Sadly,:mad:, they all ended up getting cut down during the Dutch Elm disease that swept the area back in the early 80s.

Now I have a strong urge to do two things:

1. Find some Elm wood to work with... not even sure I have the project nailed down, but definitely would like to have it available.
--- Does anyone know what the going rate is? :confused: And who may carry it?

2. I want to plant an Elm tree on my property, maybe something already a little more established. Where can I find something like that in North Carolina? :thumbs_up

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Now that this has soaked in my little head a while, I think my brother has some winged elm on his property line in Gallatin TN. don't know if it would grow where you are.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
So I have researched enough this afternoon to now know that NC is a big American Elm state, lots of trees throughout the three main regions. There is also a version called the American Princeton Elm which is resistant to D.E.D. and was from the campus of Princeton originally.

The hard part is find lumber...not just slabs (which I can find for $800+)

Dee2 if your brother decides to cut any Elm down let me know

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dee2 if your brother decides to cut any Elm down let me know

Dearly beloved's brother in law keeps a portable saw mill in Nashville....hhhmmmmm.

Please don't hold your breathe for this to progress. You have 'planted a seed' however.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
When I lived in the mid atlantic region a few years ago I saw salvaged elm somewhere. I forget where. If you are willing to either drive a ways to get it or to pay shipping you might try calling the places I frequented there in Pennsylvania. The most likely candidates that come to mind would be Groff and Groff, Hearne Hardwoods, and Freestate Timbers (Maryland). There are some other places in SE PA, but I am less familiar with them. I think there was even one that did salvaged lumber exclusively.

I worked with a fair amount of salvaged chestnut that once run through the planer it looked like it was just dried and milled. I'd imagine that elm would be the same. Prices varied pretty widely on the chestnut. I got some pretty cheaply and some demanded a real premium price.

I never worked with elm, but I cut a lot of it into stove lengths and split it for firewood back in the 80s when the city was taking down dead and dying trees. It was sad to see them go.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I have 9 acres in Rowan County, SE of Salisbury, with several elms but they seem to die when they get about 8" D. Will be glad to give you some seedlings, if you want. Should get them before they lose their leaves. Just let me know.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Steve,

I would love to get a couple of seedlings. Do you know what type of Elm it is that you have since they seem to die around the 8" diameter size? Wondering if its Asian or some other hybrid. The American Elm should get quite large and is considered very hardy in general.

Either way I would be interested to see what you have.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Steve,

I would love to get a couple of seedlings. Do you know what type of Elm it is that you have since they seem to die around the 8" diameter size? Wondering if its Asian or some other hybrid. The American Elm should get quite large and is considered very hardy in general.

Either way I would be interested to see what you have.

Should get them before they lose their leaves. Just let me know.

BTW, get several pics of the trees that you have in Rowan county before those leaves drop.

You guys should look at this site from NC State. Select "List" and "Ulmus" for elm. There are 3 species of elm considered native to North Carolina: Winged Elm, American Elm, and Slippery Elm.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/plantbiology/ncsc/tnc/ulmus.htm

Then go to Carolina Nature and search elm trees. I used to have a 2 winged elm trees as landscape plantings at my old house and here at the new house we have a few wild slippery elms.

https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/plantbiology/ncsc/tnc/ulmus.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS