where can I find angle iron locally (Raleigh)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
Hi,

I have an MDF router table top that is warped. Someone suggested attaching some angle iron underneath it, near the edges, to level it out. I would guess that having each of the two sides of the angle iron be about 1" wide would be great. Where do I find angle iron, hopefully in a size close to what I need? Do Lowes and HD carry this stuff? Is there a better place to get it? Thanks,

Gregg

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi Gregg!
I've bought most of mine from Lowes. They have a decent selection, but pricy. Some larger ACE or TrueValue hardware store also have this.
Best
Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert
Gregg,
I sell it at work ...Adams Products in Youngsvile , but it is all 3.5" x 3.5" wide and in even foot incremints ( 2, 3, 4 ft etc )

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I can second that Lowes and Ace carry it. I bought some earlier this year at Lowes only to find out a few days later that the Ace 1 mile from my house carried it.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Try Fastenal. They have a store in Durham, just off 85.

Grainger is reported to have a distribution center in Raleigh as well.

Sadly, they'll be pricey. Don't know any scrap yards.

Jim

bman

New User
barry
dillon supply (new) k&l scrap (small used just have to catch them at the right time)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not sure about steal but I would think some nice strait hardwood such as white oak glued and clamped would do the same thing and is much easier to do.;-)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I second Apex Steel, I've used them for anble, tube and plate steel. They do walk ups and have most sizes. Call ahead for availability. phone # is 919-362-6611.

Good luck,
Jimmy:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dillon sells steel in 20' lengths. Some old bed rails will yield what you need. The scrap yards, K & L, and TT & E no longer want our business. It is a long story! I should have some here. Let me know what lengths you need, as I will be cutting some pipe for the YMCA on Monday. Wouldn't be any problem to cut you some angle, as the old power hack saw will be out and running. Bruce

vbgregg

New User
Gregg
Hi,

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the information.

Bruce, if you really have some extra and you don't mind cutting a few pieces for me, that would be great. Do you have any that is either 3/4" or 1" on each side? As for the lengths, I was looking for 2 that are about 29" and another 2 that are about 21". If you don't have anything like that, don't worry. I'll find something.

Thanks,

Gregg

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Try your local "recycle centers" ie Scrap Yards. They have small lengths all the time of various metals at scrap prices.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Angle irons may not be the best choice; they do not have much torsional strenghth and are seldom straight. Usually they are convex around one leg. A piece of square tubing or a small channel may be better...my 2 cents

Cheers,

Bernhard

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hi,

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the information.

Bruce, if you really have some extra and you don't mind cutting a few pieces for me, that would be great. Do you have any that is either 3/4" or 1" on each side? As for the lengths, I was looking for 2 that are about 29" and another 2 that are about 21". If you don't have anything like that, don't worry. I'll find something.

Thanks,

Gregg
I think I can safely do this. Nice thing about bed rails is they are tempered steel, not soft. Think about it, a couple of big folks in bed having a very good time. Rails have to be able to handle it.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Try your local "recycle centers" ie Scrap Yards. They have small lengths all the time of various metals at scrap prices.

That's what I thought too Reggie. But the scrapyards around by me don't do the recycle anymore. I was told that since the price of scrap went up, they are to busy to separate, and evrything gets bundled up and sold as scrap ( probably overseas).

It's a shame too, because you could always find good scraps at a fair price.

Jimmy:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS