Where can I buy pulley key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
Hey guys,

I just bought a 1960 unisaw. It's missing the motor and a handwheel, but I'm working on that (anyone want to sell me a good 1.5hp single phase???).

In taking the arbor bracket off to change the bearings, I noticed that someone down the line had left the key out of the arbor bracket mount. I also need a key for a hand wheel. They are not the same size.

Does anyone know where I can get these keys in Durham and/or surrounding areas?

Thanks!

Sully

New User
jay
Agrisupply, tractor supply, a real hardware store (like Ace, True Value, etc.) should have keys.

J

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Brad, you've already gotten good advice on the pulley keys, but I have a comment on the motor. A 1.5 hp might be a little light for a Unisaw. Most of them come w/ either 3 or 5 hp now. If you plan on cutting anything heavy (e.g. oak, maple, walnut, etc.) you might need the extra umphhhhh!

Just a thought. :gar-Bi

Bill

Sully

New User
jay
I will respectfully disagree about the 1.5HP motor. It really depends on the nature of the motor, the current draw and the sheer mass. It needs to be rated for continuous duty. There's split phase, repulsion induction, universal, capacitor start / capacitor run, 3 phase, etc. Too many variables to patently rule out a 1.5HP motor.

Many of the older unisaws even came with a 1HP motor and there were tens of thousands of bf of lumber cut on those machines. I personally have a 3HP motor on my machine, because that is what came with it. For the average hobby user a 1.5HP is probably sufficient. If, however, you can get a 3 or 5 HP motor, then do so.

J

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
I really cringe at anything over 1.5hp because I can't see the added cost of running wire for 220v. My shop is a good ways from my house and I don't do a ton of real heavy cutting.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
it is possible to make a motor plate and have the mounting tabs welded to it making it uni compatible. OWWM had a write-up about it a few years ago. I don't have the link but the user unisaw-a100 was in on the conversion. you might try a search of that site. oldwoodworkingmachines.com ??
it allowed a standard frame motor to be mounted in the uni cabinet. finding a motor with the correct size shaft will allow you to use a standard pulley. be sure to size the pulley for whatever speed your motor is. If the motor you use is 1725RPM I may have a pulley you can use [if I can find it]. I think the original motors used a 3/4" shaft but don't quote me on that. I can check tomorrow if need be.

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
I actually have one that someone already made that alteration, so I am only looking for motors with normal (non-unisaw-mounts) mount. I really don't think I'll need more than 1.5hp. I'm coming from a 1950 craftsman with a 1hp (albeit a VERY heavy 1hp) motor than did most of what I needed fine.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
And I have NO idea what pulley to put on it...

depends on the RPM of the motor. it is a three belt pulley. the one I think I have is approx 5" in diameter and is for the 1725 RPM motor. for the 3450RPM motor you will want the smaller approx 3" pulley. you will want a matched set of belts to make it run smoother.:gar-Bi

Live4Brew

New User
Brad
In searching for a motor, I realize just how much I DON'T know.. I read someone who said if you buy a new motor that you MUST buy a switch with overload protection as new motors don't have it built in? Does that make sense to anyone?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
In searching for a motor, I realize just how much I DON'T know.. I read someone who said if you buy a new motor that you MUST buy a switch with overload protection as new motors don't have it built in? Does that make sense to anyone?

You don't have to but it is recommended. I have pushed my uni the the breaking point on a couple of occasions and if it were not for the overload protection I could have burned the motor up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors