What Tree Is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
While rummaging around in the woods I came across this tree that had a branch broken loose from the main branch. Didn't notice the little "fruits" until after I had removed the branch and a bunch of briar vines from the main tree. Have no idea what it is;:dontknow: never seen anything quite like it before. The leaves look a little like Hickory but the pods make me wonder.:icon_scra
SANY00071.JPG

SANY0008.JPG

Dragon

New User
David
As usual, you guys are spot on. It is a Paw Paw for sure. Now I've got to go looking for some more of them so's I can try out the fruit if the critters don't beat me to it. Many thanks for the info and the links to more info. :icon_thum

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Paw Paws are considered the "North American Banana". The fruit ripens to yellow and purple (fully ripe and soft). Seeds are lined up inside like a persimmon, but non of the alum pucker. Pretty tasty.

Go

truckjohn

New User
John
Sweet find...

Frequently, the wild ones aren't all that spectacular of an eating treat... Sometimes, they have a funny aftertaste too... It is certainly worth a taste, though.... (Think about how some wild blackberries taste like Kerosene... where others are heavenly...)

If you do decide you like it (Or that you would like it if it was a bit more refined...) -- consider looking into some of the cultivated varieties. I hear the "Mango" Paw Paw is a winner for many people, as are many of the patented varieties by Peterson...

Thanks

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS